how well does blender work with Irrlicht?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

how well does blender work with Irrlicht?

Post by Guest »

Has any one programmed a game using blender and irrlicht? Are there any documentation that talks about the process of moving blender exports into irrlicht?
neutral

Post by neutral »

Yes you can create content to be displayed by Irrlicht in Blender.

For world geometry just export in a format where the Irrlicht loader reads the UV coords, such as .X Best to use the updated .X exporter mentioned in the tools / how to forum sticky. Probably need to scale the mesh up after import.

For world geometry and lightmaps, search the forums for FSRad and LightMapMaker. Murphy has done tools for a Blender to FSRad path, and dhenton9000 tools for LightMapMaker.

For animated models use the .X exporter, but for the moment stay with Blender 2.37. 2.40's changes to the animation system broke the exporter.
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

take a look at my demo at http://s-fonline.com/webhosting/dhenton ... ssdemo.zip Artwork for the sky box and all animations and models were done in blender and displayed in irrlicht.

Wow, your game is cool

Post by Guest »

I like your game, what format did you use to port the mesh to irrlicht? how long did it take you? how did you deal with the UV mapping?

I can't find a place to down load 2.37

Post by Guest »

neutral wrote:Yes you can create content to be displayed by Irrlicht in Blender.

For world geometry just export in a format where the Irrlicht loader reads the UV coords, such as .X Best to use the updated .X exporter mentioned in the tools / how to forum sticky. Probably need to scale the mesh up after import.

For world geometry and lightmaps, search the forums for FSRad and LightMapMaker. Murphy has done tools for a Blender to FSRad path, and dhenton9000 tools for LightMapMaker.

For animated models use the .X exporter, but for the moment stay with Blender 2.37. 2.40's changes to the animation system broke the exporter.
Thank you for your advice, but I have 2.4, and I don't know where to download 2.37? any suggestions?
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

to get 2.37a

http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.37a/

You need the jox exporter http://development.mindfloaters.de, this is the best .X exporter for blender, but doesn't support 2.4 yet. I keep two copies of blender for this reason (2.4 and 2.37a)

I've been working on the demo for about a year, 80% of which was learning how to code everything. I also had to come up to speed on blender. The little toothed monsters took a day (but they look it). There's a knight up on my model collection that took about 24 hours total.

UV mapping was strictly in blender, using the tools there. I don't own any other animation software, so I do everything in Blender.

Jox's exporter comes with a lot of useful info about getting animations into Irrlicht. When you use it, he has a little paragraph that tells you what to do. It works quite nicely. What's cool about it is it will output animations with no frame rate, but rather a frame number, so you can set speed in irrlicht.