EPICA - game announcement

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

What do you apreciate in a game ?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:52 am

The sounds and music
No votes
The graphics
25%
The story
31%
The overall feeling
44%

Total votes: 16

andrei25ni

EPICA - game announcement

Post by andrei25ni »

Hello.

I would like to announce my first project with Irrlicht. It is a FPS game, called EPICA, and I hope I will release a demo this summer. You can find more details on a site I made (I am still new to PHP, so please tell me if you find any problems) wich is in my signature (My Game Site).
krama757

Post by krama757 »

Oh damn! Very nice level you have going there. Used DeleD for the whole thing?

Are you planning on implementing day/night? In that case how are you going to get the lightmaps to change over time?

Wish there was a way to blur those lightmaps no? They would look so much more awesome :(
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

The level is a .bsp file I made with GtkRadiant.I'm glad you like it :) . I am not going to implement day/night cycle, because this kind of file doesn't support lightmaps. But your ideea is not bad. Maybe I'll experiment with .3ds files. I'm not sure yet if I can create collision with it.
Delan

Post by Delan »

you can use x files for map and use night-day cycle like here: http://wasted.xt.pl/irrdemo.zip
And time has come now to ride
before the end of the night
the march of the swordmaster
to the unholy fight
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

Delan ...

I want to make a very big map, and I dont know (yet) how many polys a .x file can hold and how it behaves .

Now that you guys mentioned it, can someone recommend me a format between .bsp and .x(advantages, desadvantages) ,so I can make the choise now at the begining of the game.

Btw, the votes are verry heplful. Hmm... looks like I need to make a more interesting story :D
krama757

Post by krama757 »

DeleD dmf files are awesome.

If not that then you can try OCT files, but I havent gone down that route yet.

ALso you can use the octreescenenodes to improve frame rates. Try out a high poly x with it...its really not bad.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

some 3d packages exporters of x format wont let export more than 65,000 triangles. Which is ok for an indy game, but hardware evolves too fast..

you could anyway export in chunks.

And several 3d tools do export more than 65k tris...Then , in irrlicht I think u need dunno what stuff about 32 bit buffers or something...I'm no coder, but was something irrlicht lacked many versions ago. Surely now is fixed.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I'd go for x better than bsp, but that's me...

and I'd go for MIM format better than OCT. Though each has its advanatges. I prefer both to bsp.

Murphy -now busy with exams- is working in a new lightmapping tool...

For meshes in geenral, I tend to like x format. though I admit that for static or rigid objects, seems ms3d in irrlicht is a good option.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll let you know what I decided.
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

I decided to use the .x format for the next maps I'll make. I'll also try to implement the day/night cycle .
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

I won't start a new thread for my question.

Is it possible to have ,let's say 4 .x files, that are parts of a bigger map, and combine them togeter in a single level. But I wan't to know if the camera will colide with all four parts ?
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

andrei25ni wrote:The level is a .bsp file I made with GtkRadiant.I'm glad you like it :) . I am not going to implement day/night cycle, because this kind of file doesn't support lightmaps.
Bsp files are avaible for lightmaping. See here:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=9768
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com

Post by Guest »

thank you very much etcaptor. You helped me alot. :D
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

Last post was mine. :)

How about that 4 .x files question, guys ?
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Is it possible to have ,let's say 4 .x files, that are parts of a bigger map, and combine them togeter in a single level. But I wan't to know if the camera will colide with all four parts ?
Sure. As long as they are aligned properly and have collision responce added, there is no problem.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram