frames wierd in ms3d

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
green_algae

frames wierd in ms3d

Post by green_algae »

i found a dwarf model on the net in .X and in .ms3d format. i've the following 3 questions:

1) when i load the .X file the dwarf is rendered. but when i load the .ms3d file it is rendered much better in irrlicht when there is no difference in the number of faces between them. can anyone plz tell me why this happens??? is this because irrlicht renders ms3d better than .X file

2) both the files have 360 frames as they r the same. my milkshape even confirms that both have 360 frames. but when i load dwarf.x file in irrlict it says it has 360 frames. nothing wrong here. but when i load .ms3d file it says there r 13333 frames. why so???

3) i'm attaching a weapon to this dwarf using getMS3DJointNode() function of irrlicht 0.12.0 . for this i need a ms3d model. but i don't know the frame loops of the dwarf. there is getXJointNode funtion in irrlicht 0.14.0 . but people say that irrlicht 0.14.0 is little unstable. so can anyone help me here as what to do???

thanx 4 ure help in advance
pfo

Post by pfo »

when i load the .X file the dwarf is rendered. but when i load the .ms3d file it is rendered much better in irrlicht when there is no difference in the number of faces between them. can anyone plz tell me why this happens??? is this because irrlicht renders ms3d better than .X file
There must be something the ms3d loader is doing to get a better looking model, maybe the .ms3d file contains more information (like material colors / attributes)? That would be my guess. If you load _any_ mesh format in Irrlicht, the SMesh or IMesh data underneath is in the same Irrlicht format, only the loader could make a difference.

#2: Again, look at the ms3d loader and you will see that it scales keyframes by some constant (46.37577274747 ..... I don't remember off the top of my head)

#3 When you get the MS3D joint node, just add the weapon as a child of it, and you're done. The weapon will remain in that position, no matter where the mesh moves, what its orientation is, or if its being animated.

Post by Guest »

the solution to ur 2nd part can be found at

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=10711

enjoy and let the force be with u !!!!