Textured cube from blender

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Textured cube from blender

Post by Guest »

Hello,
I'm having problems viewing a .x file i export from Blender using the same code as the first tutorial. Please keep in mind i'm not familliar with blender.

Here's what I do:

I'm using Blender v2.3. When you first open up blender a cube mesh is already loaded. I simply select the cube by right clicking on it and then I select File->Export->DirectX8 mod1.3.2 (.x) (plugin installed that supposively works with irrlicht)
A dialog appears and I select "Export to DX8 file format (choose filename)"
(there is another part of the dialog that allows you to configure...do i need to configure anything?)
I select a directory and save the file as "cube.x".
The only changes i made to the tutorial is i'm now pointing to cube.x (mesh) and cube.jpg (texture)
Looking at the log output on the dos window there is no error and it seems to have loaded the mesh & texture...
Anyone can help me out? Thanks
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

post the blend file somewhere. I've gotten this to work. Is the camera positioned in such a way as to see the cube?

Is the cube too big?
Alberto Rubinato

Post by Alberto Rubinato »

I've got the same problem few time ago.
First of all, Blender start with a plane, not a cube. You have fisrt to extrude it or substitute it with a cube mesh befor do export.

I tihnk that the exporter you are using is not compatible with Irrlicht. You can download the exporter linked in wiki section of this site. I report you the link for semplicity: http://development.mindfloaters.de/Dire ... d.8.0.html. Go to download section and get the latest version avaiable. Install it in script direcoty of Blender and use it to export. If you want to export a texturized mesh remember to launch the exporter when you are in UV Map Editor of the mesh. In the forum you can find my old post for a problem about it.

Another method is to export in "obj" format ( wavefront ). It works fine with Irrlicht.

Alberto Rubinato

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help...cube displays now...
It was a camera angle thing...although now the problem is the cube is not textured. I'm assuming all i have to do for that is figure out how to apply a texture to the cube within blender.

Which file format is better...direct X (.x) or wavefront (.obj)?
Can both do animation...?

Thanks
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

Code: Select all

Which file format is better...direct X (.x) or wavefront (.obj)?
Can both do animation...? 
i believe (is sure) only .x alows for animation (so does .md2 files -eg milkshape models)
U must however understand that creating an animated model in blender is -not- directly simple..

dhenton9000 have postet links to exelent tutorials (thanks!). U should search his threads.
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |

Post by Guest »

I found his threads...Thanks for the help guys!
arock99

Post by arock99 »

I tried the same thing and when i display my cube in irrlicht all i get is one color instead of the entire texture. I tried using 2 different textures (named cube.jpg & cube2.jpg) and both have the same problem although they end up displaying a different colored cube. Any idea what i potentially could be doing wrong? Thanks
Alberto Rubinato

Post by Alberto Rubinato »

May be the colour used is the same in the first top-right pixel of texture. I'm not sure, but if this is your problem, you have some trouble in UV Map coordinates of the object. There was a specific post about this time ago.

Alberto Rubinato