FPS caused bugs

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Domin

FPS caused bugs

Post by Domin »

Sorry for my english...

I have discovered two bugs that are FPS dependent:

1. I have set the slidingSpeed parameter in getCollisionResultPosition to some value - every works fine, until FPS fall down (same prog, greater resolution) - animated node, which is not sliding when FPS stay high, now slides down on sloping parts of my mesh. Of course it may be solved by passing slidingSpeed multipled by time difference beetwen frames, but I think that this should be done in function getCollisionResultPosition internally.

2. MD2 morphing animation and high FPS - because of bug in WinXP, every time when fullscreen mode is set on this system the refresh rate stays on value currently used by desktop. So, if I have this value equal to 85 I may get only 85 fps in fullscreen when it is set without refresh rate specification (like in Irrlicht). Other systems, in this case, sets refresh rate to higher available in choosed mode. When FPS is limited by refresh rate of monitor not by gfx adapter the morphing of md2s behaves weird - this looks like flickering or like two frames dislayed in one (sorry - my english is too weak to describe this correctly :) Those thngs are more visible when animation of md2 is very dynamic...

Do you plan, Niko, to add possiblility to manual set the refresh rate in fullscreen modes? And what about VSync? - Sometimes is very important to turn it off.
niko
Site Admin

Re: FPS caused bugs

Post by niko »

Domin wrote:Of course it may be solved by passing slidingSpeed multipled by time difference beetwen frames, but I think that this should be done in function getCollisionResultPosition internally.
Ah, thanks for posting this! Did not know of this bug.
Domin wrote:this looks like flickering or like two frames dislayed in one
Interesting. Will check this out.
Domin wrote: Do you plan, Niko, to add possiblility to manual set the refresh rate in fullscreen modes? And what about VSync? - Sometimes is very important to turn it off.
Yep, I already planned this. Thanks for your post again, was very helpful. :)