Precomputed Anti-aliasing and gile[s]

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Reuomi

Precomputed Anti-aliasing and gile[s]

Post by Reuomi »

I'm not sure if this has ever been done. and if it hasn't, and the idea is good, I want to say, quite plainly !IT WAS MINE FIRST! lol (c)Alexander Hall :p

But seriously if i haven't made a total D.A. out of my self yet let me lay out what came to mind and what i migth be concidering for my project. I have been toyign around with gile[s] for a few months and love it, but i hated that my V-card couldn't render with anti-aliasing because i dont own a computer that can handle a VCard update like that (i bought a nice raidion card but i motherboard didn't suport it. Noob mistake on my part.) so one night a idea dawned on me. while playign with maya i noticed the that the saw-toothed edges always were o nthe edges (of course i'm sure the rest of you knew that) so then i turned on "smooth wireframe" and suddenly all the edges where anti_aliased. Then what came to mind was if i could soem how exploit this idea futher...got bored and played Lineage 2. takign notice at the plants scattered around.. i noticed that antialiasing on a 2d serface could be doen through textures. Well polygons are just multiple 2d edges placed to form a 3d object.

My Idea:

You set up a engine to precompute anti-aliasing by seperating each polygon on a surface from those aroudn ti till you just have a object built of unconnected faces then scale the face in all directions just slightly enough to place an alpha map with small blurred edges so that in essence all edges look smooth.

I'm not sure what this effect will have on a Video card by switching from Anti_aliasing to a strong relyance on Alpha blending. So feel free to chime in thats what i'm hear for. and in the least i'd liek to thank you for reading this :)!
Reuomi_notloged in

Post by Reuomi_notloged in »

This is a manual test for visual means

Post by Guest »

as you can see the green is the face with the alpha map Anti-Alias effect
the grey is without the effect

black is the background