Best Windows IDE + compiler (that's free)?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
shaneedward

Best Windows IDE + compiler (that's free)?

Post by shaneedward »

What is the best for working with Irrlicht and running on Windows that is also free? Are there easy to follow tutorials for setting it up? If so, where?
finger007

Post by finger007 »

Are you aware that you are likely to start a new flamewar here? ;)

As to your question:
IDE: Search the forum for IDE, you will find several discussed here already. Then pick the one you like.

Tutorial: afecelis did an excellent one on code::blocks and ms-compiler.
Go to Irrlicht-HP and click on "tutorials". There you'll find the one by afecelis and others.
Note: You'll have to scoll down a bit to find em ;)

cheers
shaneedward

Post by shaneedward »

No, sorry. I wasn't aware that I'd start a flamewar. It was an innocent question. I'd like a straight answer but it doesn't look like I'm going to get one.
The Jackal

The best IDE

Post by The Jackal »

For me the best IDE is DEV-C++ whith Ming-gw because is fully supported by Irrlicht and it is open-source. :D
At fault or not, die!
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

Since you said for windows.. I use Visual C++ Express, the temporarily free version of it. It is free forever, but only available to get for a limited time. The IDE and compiler are commercial quality, but don't expect to run it in linux. I've heard of code blocks as well, which supposedly has a good IDE, but I've never used it.
shaneedward

Post by shaneedward »

The Jackal wrote:For me the best IDE is DEV-C++ whith Ming-gw because is fully supported by Irrlicht and it is open-source. :D
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. Eclipse with Cygwin is too big and complicated a mess (at least for this newb). I see that Dev-C++ already has the compiler all set up and in the download package. That makes things less complicated. Less complicated is good.

I have to say though, Cygwin is nifty. It's pretty cool to play with a *nix command line under Windows but I don't want to play with Cygwin, I want to make 3d stuff happen with Irrlicht.
Last edited by shaneedward on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaneedward

Post by shaneedward »

kburkhart84 wrote:Since you said for windows.. I use Visual C++ Express, the temporarily free version of it. It is free forever, but only available to get for a limited time. The IDE and compiler are commercial quality, but don't expect to run it in linux. I've heard of code blocks as well, which supposedly has a good IDE, but I've never used it.
I don't know the difference between commercial quality vs. not. I'm a beginner. I'm an artist, not a programmer but I'm trying to learn. Whatever works and requires the least amount of trouble to get started. I guess I should have been more specific about my needs.

I like Linux so I don't want to work with something that would make it difficult or impossible to port what I'm working on. But that's a long way off, I'd be happy if I could simply get the "Hello World!" tutorial to compile and run properly. The point is though, I'd rather not use Microsoft's IDE.
finger007

Post by finger007 »

I like Linux so I don't want to work with something that would make it difficult or impossible to port what I'm working on. But that's a long way off, I'd be happy if I could simply get the "Hello World!" tutorial to compile and run properly. The point is though, I'd rather not use Microsoft's IDE.
Then maybe dev-cpp is a good choice for you. There's lots of howtos and a huge community behind it, so you have a large platform to get answers to your questions.
To start go here: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut_devcpp.html
Seems a bit outdated, maybe some things have changed in between...

If you want to work on linux as well, give codeblocks a try. I started with that one and like it ;)
Setup: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut_codeblocks.html

Regards,
finger007

p.s.:
As I can see from your first answer you got me wrong a bit. I didn't mean to offend you. I just pointed the directions to read on since the information you seemed to be looking for is rather easy to find on the homepage of Irrlicht.
So - no hard feelings, eh? And good luck with your project!
Rohit

Post by Rohit »

VC Toolkit 2003 7.1 command line compiler(around 27 MBs) is free and produces highly optimized and compact code for irrlicht .

Then install Codeblocks IDE latest version(around 3 MBs) . Codeblocks will automatically detect your VC compiler(you can have MinGW or DMC).Unzip Irrlicht so that you get C:\Irrlicht directory structure (i mean rename irrlicht-0.14.0 to Irrlicht).
Now , in Codeblocks
File->NewProject->IrrlichtProject->Create->Save
(***CodeBlocks has a pre-defined "IrrlichtProject" template , so you dont have to add any includes and libs and link libraries***)
Press F9 (to compile and run)
You ll see a Character in front of you ! (The 1 st irrlicht example)

***There is also a CodeBlocks version for Linux , so you can use it
on both win and linux , without the hassle of getting used to some
new IDE like kDEVELOP or Anjuta***

For GUI creation , you can use CEGUI library .
Last edited by Rohit on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
O Draconian Devil ! O Lame Saint !
So Dark the Con of Man !
http://two.fsphost.com/irrlicht
Puck6633

Post by Puck6633 »

Well if you want my humble opinion GCC is definitely the way to go as far as a compiler, since it works on windows and linux (and maybe mac too, though I've never really looked into that) and also works with windows 9x platforms, something the visual C toolkit doesn't do.

As far as an IDE I've personally found that Dev-CPP is more mature and stable, but Code::Blocks is more feature rich and easier to use. the best thing to do would be to try them both and see which one suits you better. :)

Post by Guest »

CodeBlocks ...
or Eclipse w/ CDT if you got a good machine,
eclipse has a really nice gdb frontend.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I'm a total fan of Codeblocks with VC toolkit 2003. Both are free. And to round things up, install GCC and also use Codeblocks with it. Oh yes, get GDB as debugger!