CgFX material?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
147-2

CgFX material?

Post by 147-2 »

CgFX is a powerful and versatile shader spec which is identical to Microsoft's .fx Effect format for DX9... The nice thing is, it runs on OpenGL as well as DX, and it runs on Linux (and other?) systems. There are plugins for 3d Studio Max and Maya, so artist/programmers can tweak their shaders.

Is there any forseeable support for CgFX?

Rob
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Support for programmable shaders using CG and/or HLSL is planned, yes. Not for the next version, but for sure before 1.0.
147-2

Post by 147-2 »

Suppose I wanted to add this functionality to the engine, what structure or class would I inherit off of to do it? I have about two days experience with the engine, but years worth of experience working on engines in general.

Could you give me a bump start on this one? I would like to see what I can do with this, just to get my feet wet with Irr.

Rob
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

A simple solution would be for example to add a pointer to the used vertex shader in the SMaterial struct, and then let each VideoDriver implementation do with this what it cans and wants. :)