Sorr I' m total newbie

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Wihitecrash

Sorr I' m total newbie

Post by Wihitecrash »

Hello,
Sorry for that, if I'm asking stuffs that some others already asks... and sorry for my dab english too :P

e and my friends are starting a game project, using the Irrlicht engine, and blender for the 3D stuff like terrain, cities and player's avatars...

My question is: When i have a cool thing and i want to try use it with Irrlicht... what i haev to do? i got the engine, but i do not know how use it, im totally new to that, i maked some games but without the graphic engine...
What i have to do with irrlicht and how to make the animation run with it?
JP

Post by JP »

Check out the tutorials, and this should have gone in beginner's help, not project announcements ;)

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tutorials.html
Image Image Image
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Thank you JP!

Wihitecrash you can also view tutorials at http://www.irrdev.com and many other sites.

Btw I am moving this topic to beginners help.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
Das Gurke

Post by Das Gurke »

Sorry but:

You guys need to learn C++. Starting with Irrlicht is, well not even really difficult, but you will then lack awfully in some basics.
JP

Post by JP »

How do you know they don't know C++ already? They said that they'd made games, just not 3D ones. When i started using a java-binding of Irrlicht i'd had 2 years of java experience at Uni and so knew quite a lot (but obviously still lots to learn) and i was completely at a loss of what to do with the engine, and looking at the tutorials and fiddling around myself i managed to get more confidence with it. Wihitecrash was just basically asking wether there were any tutorials for it
Image Image Image
Das Gurke

Post by Das Gurke »

Ouch, big sorry, i overread that small passage they made some games.

"When i have a cool thing and i want to try use it with Irrlicht... what i haev to do?" This just really sounded like another enthusiastic guy, thinking he can go for WoW II or similar ^^

Irrlicht attracts a lot of these guys. Which is good cause it shows the qualitiy of the engine, but can be annoying (I include myself here btw) ...
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah i know what you mean, i've seen people come along with no experience in coding and expect to be able to make amazing 3D stuff straight away whereas really at least a few months of learning the language is required before even considering it!

But then also i've seen people on here who seem quite "n00bish" and then turn out to be rather competent :lol:

I think the language barrier often causes problems!
Image Image Image
YukiKaze

Post by YukiKaze »

I suspect he and his friends have made games using programs like GameMaker and Klik n' Play. These programs are fairly decent at letting you hit the ground running, and they even help develop skills which will be used later on in a programming career, such as cause-effect and resource management, but it's a very large step up from making a pesudo-3D game in Game Maker and writing even Irrlicht's "Hello World" example. Even so, when I first found Klik 'n Play about 6 years ago, I was ready and set to make another Final Fantasy 7. Reality took a while to set in.

I think Whitecrash has already been discouraged by the requirement of at least basic C++ knowledge in order to use Irrlicht.
rooly

Post by rooly »

same stroy here...started in game maker, and went straight to trying to make wc3. anywho i know it takes a long time for this stuff now, so i'm portioning it.
When banks compete, you win.
When ISPs compete, you win.
When electronics retailers compete, you win.
When governments compete...you get drafted.
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

same here, started with a gamestudio and tried to create another farcry ...

2 years later, i ended up here (17.08.2004)

seems we are all kinda related :P
rooly

Post by rooly »

i've always wondered why germans are soo good at programming...better than the asians (who are only good with electronics, not programming). Its my country that invented the damn computer! Why can't we be good at it!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!

haha, jk!
Baal Cadar

Post by Baal Cadar »

rooly, I beg your pardon. True that most americans seem to think this, but the first Computer was invented by Konrad Zuse a german and it was invented and built in Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse

Btw, your country didn't invent the car either. ;)
rooly

Post by rooly »

haha, alright, no offense taken. its in our history books, unfortunately. thank you for correcting me.