[SOLVED]problem with displaying a bsp map

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Post by Guest »

hmm why does nobody know a solution?

could it be something with my video card?
its very strange... even the tutorials are not displayed correctly....
Belshamaroth

Post by Belshamaroth »

sry the last post was me. forgot to login.
Belshamaroth

Post by Belshamaroth »

why is nobody able to give an additional hint for this problem.
none of the advices works...
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

Maybe nobody had such problems. Honestly, I did not yet look into your project. Maybe I'll find some time to do in the next days.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I tried it out and everything looked as it should. Besides that wall with the "fleshy" texture that seems to have no width, everything is loading fine.

I thought it would be a problem of trying to load the bsps directly (not form a pk3) but it loaded fine. And the level has some nice different environments.

Could you also upload your .map file so that I can check it and compile it here?
Belshamaroth

Post by Belshamaroth »

this is wired as there are still the same problems on my pc, that objects are drawn even if they are behind walls and that walls and floors are sightable through other walls.

here's the link to the .map file.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/forum1689/first_room.map

i tried it with a .x file map but the problem was there too.

the only map which was partly drawn correctly was an .3ds map, but without texture data and lightmaps its not suitable for my project...

Post by Guest »

i fixed the error...

i changed my video card and tested it with my better pc. there everything went fine... but if try it with my kyro 2 video card the error is still existing... this might be a bug or an error with my driver, but stuff like half life, battlefields and so on is running well - only the loading with irrlicht causes errors....?
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Ok, great you found it was a card problem. That problem is common with Kyro cards; but it's not a bug, it's the way they render stuff. In order to speed things up they only render the visible polygons at a certain distance (most of the cards do it this way but...), the problem is that sometimes the effect is exaggerated and leads to render errors.

I once had a Hercules-Kyro card. Then I ran Unreal with it... and i had to sell it immediately! :wink:
ahh, found it!
regular cards do: immediate mode rendering
kyro does: tile based rendering
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content ... le/1291.4/

Post by Guest »

ok ty.
now everything is clear :)

i think ill buy a gforce 7800 for the pc with the kyro... there were this problems with direct x 9.0 shaders anyway.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

whoa! that's a top-notch card. But check the slot you got for it. If you had a Kyro, Iassume you're using AGP. Late cards are all PCI-express so check your mobo has got slots for that.

Suggestion: you can get a 6600 much cheaper and will do al the shader stuff you need (I even got a 5900ultra and still does the job!) :wink:
Belshamaroth

Post by Belshamaroth »

hmm i compared the prices.... an i have to say, that your suggestion succeeds ;-)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

wise decision! :wink: You'll also have some extra bucks. :D