Odd 2d Graphics

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Sachiel7

Odd 2d Graphics

Post by Sachiel7 »

Hey all,
I've been plugging through my 2D project (I expect to post details on it somewhere soon, perhaps setup a wp)
Anyway, I just thought I'd toss this out there and see if anyone else has noticed the same kinds of issues

For my lead-in to the game, I display my SSoft logo, and the IrrLicht logo,

Once I had moved all the logos to one 1024x1024 image (Along with some menu backgrounds and stuff), and defined rects for each image, I get some odd results in my program, and it seems to only be under DirectX. (Though openGl is fuzzy, so its hard to tell)

Here's an example:

The pic on the right is the source image, and the one on the left is what is displayed through IrrLicht,
It's hard to tell the difference, because of the JPG compression to pop onto PB, but basically, you'll notice some choppiness around the edges of the ring. You cant tell it here, but the actual image seems like its being forced down to 16 or even 8 bits when the program is being run. I verified that my device was set for 32 bits. My source image dimensions are equal powers of 2. What's going on here? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. The odd thing is, some of the graphics display this way, and some are fine (from the same source image)
Odd, no?
-=Sachiel7=-
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

I've had the exact same problem with 2D graphics too, but you beat me on posting it. I've found that using DirectX the drawings look far more pixelated than they normally would (both when I draw an image using draw2DImage() or drawing an image in a GUI). OpenGL is better, but it's only better because OpenGL seems to smooth the drawing out a bit afterwards.

Anyone know what's going on? It's making my game look completely unprofessional.
Sachiel7

Post by Sachiel7 »

I think the issue lies within your graphics card settings (at least mine did).
After resetting my DirectX and OpenGL settings on my ATI card to default, everything showed up fine (no more odd effects in directX, and no more heavy smoothing in OpenGL)
See if this affects anything for you!
-=Sachiel7=-
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

My video settings are already at default, seeing as I've never touched them before!

This makes it hard if you are making a game though, because wouldn't it require the user to reset their settings just to get things to display properly?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

But i could lso provides hints on what should be changed. This could be done from within the engine later on. Such as anisotropic filtering which is adjustable from the gfx settings and by material settings.