That 'big outdoor map' question again...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Amarth

That 'big outdoor map' question again...

Post by Amarth »

Well, I've searched the net and these forum a bit, but I still don't manage to get the idea working... I know it has been asked quite a few time ago, but please forgive me.

Anyway, how to manage a potentially infinite seamless outdoor map? I know about the theory: just hold a small amount of the data in memory, and fetch everything when it's needed.

I don't really see on how to do this, though. I've tried, for example, to render a couple of TerrainSceneNodes around the camera, about the way the seamless tutorial works. The problems, though, should be clear: at the edges between two nodes, the meshes aren't connected.

So, I was thinking, you probably need to have just one scenenode, and then you simply extend the meshes around you when needed. Only, I have no idea on how to, for example, merge or extend meshes. So, in short, I have this mesh I'm walking on. I approach the edge. I load in the next part, and then I need to somehow connect this new thing in a seamless way (without texturing problems, without collision detection failing, ...) to the mesh I'm currently on.

Also, does this work with TerrainSceneNodes, too? I've picked up a couple of posts around here that tell people not to use them... So, what's the truth?

Thanks a lot!
YukiKaze

Post by YukiKaze »

you should attempt to contact the owner of the blog at http://www.saigumi.net/, he wrote the seamless, and repeating seamless, world tutorials(which are now missing from the archive, it seems.)

If you manage to get useful info out of him, please post up, I'm wondering about it, too.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

a proper seamless world in irrlicht isn't possible without some work, firstly, those tutorials are here in the wiki-
http://www.irrforge.org/index.php/Tutorials#World

we are a bit further along than last time though - there's spintz's tiled terrain manager (I don't think it's finished yet, but it would be a good starting point), or steal mm765's eye-popping large terrain node for lightfeather.
and of course nag Armen every day for updates to his terrain generator tool, I volunteer to do this :D
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Hirte

Post by Hirte »

bitplane wrote:a proper seamless world in irrlicht isn't possible without some work, [...]
Erm... why? I have at the moment a level from 0,0 to 2000000,2000000. Should I change this? It works until now...
Amarth

Post by Amarth »

Hirte wrote:Erm... why? I have at the moment a level from 0,0 to 2000000,2000000. Should I change this? It works until now...
Taking up how much memory? Or, how detailed is it? And how scalable is it? You're not going to be able to do something that is a couple of magnitudes more, because of floating point inaccuracies..

Now, I really don't care about the amount of work, I have time :). I'm not *that* inexperienced, I think. I got the 'donut world' thing (with wrapping around) as good as working, but the troubles were in collision detection and texturing, because of the cutted off meshes.

Spintz' work seems nice, I'll check it out as soon as I can. I can't immediately find mm765's scenenode, sorry. Thanks for the pointers :).