Direct3d problem...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
dr34mr

Direct3d problem...

Post by dr34mr »

i've just downloaded irrlicht 1.0 and tested it with the "quake 3 map" tutorial. the problem is, that when i choose direct3d to be the rendere, all i get is an error message in the command prompt: "DIRECT3D9 Driver was not compiled into this dll. Try another one.". Available libraries from irrlicht 1.0 are only for gcc and VS (ofcourse i'm talking 'bout winxp) and i've tried them both. when i use vs library, i don't even manage to run the app. on gcc library everything goes ok when i use opengl or software renderer, but it goes wrong, when i use direct3d (9 and 8). please help :)
i don't have a drinking problem.
i drink.
i get drunk.
i pass out.
no problem.
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

Hi!

the irrlicht libraries for mingw/gcc are not compiled with directx enabled, you have to either recompile it with directx support or download pre-compiled modified binaries.

to do that, just download the directx sdk/directx 9 dev-pak, open up the source for irrlicht in your ide (devc++, vc++ project files are provided), open up include/IrrCompileConfig.h and place a:

Code: Select all

#define IRR_COMPILE_WITH_DX9_DEV_PACK
in it somewhere before #endif, then hit the compile button and enjoy your new irrlicht - with directx support.

see you!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

But why is the gcc library working at all? Did Niko built some examples with code::blocks?
dr34mr

Post by dr34mr »

i'm not exactly sure if i'm sure ;), but dev-cpp uses gcc compiler. i don't know what (if any) connection does it have with dev-cpp ide. never mind. anyway, the win32gcc library works perfectly well in dev-cpp. i had to use this one, as there are no dev-cpp libraries in irrlicht 1.0 included. (or i'm a dunce ;)).
gfxstyler, thanks for help, i'll try to do it right about now :D

EDIT:
it works, i didn't actually have to recompile the library :D. i'm not sure if it's even possible :lol: that i didn't have to do it. anyway it works, gfxstyler thanks again :D
Last edited by dr34mr on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i don't have a drinking problem.
i drink.
i get drunk.
i pass out.
no problem.
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

just to clear things up :) :

mingw = gcc port to windows

dev-c++ uses mingw so gcc and can use all win32-gcc libraries, thus it doesnt matter if the library isnt explicitly compiled for dev-c++ (i used the lib with codeblocks and mingw studio and devc++ without problems)

so you can also recompile irrlicht with directx support in any other ide, and then use it in irrlicht.

ps: one thing i forgot in my other post, if you compile irrlicht with directx support with gcc, you have to link against libd3dx9.a and libd3dx8.a if you want dx8, then you have to copy d3dx9.dll or what its called from your dev-c++/dll directory to your applications working directory or to C:\Windows\System32

it may sound complicated the first time, but once you get more comfortable with it, its peanuts (and you always still have the irrlicht forums to ask questions :P )

good luck & see you!
izguit

Post by izguit »

ahem.... stupid post but....
where is d3dx9.a ?
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

hi!

it should be located in YourDevCpp/libs

see you! :)
izguit

Post by izguit »

nope :(
strange...
are they included in irrlicht sdk?
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

hi!

no, they are not included in the irrlicht sdk.

if you install the directx devpack they should be in DevCpp/libs, but note that they are called libd3dx9.a for example (its always lib+name+.a )

so maybe thats why you didnt find d3dx9.a :)

good luck so far! see you!
jam

Post by jam »

libd3d9.a is the file your looking for.