Working on C# network engine (code) for all

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
zaneiel

Working on C# network engine (code) for all

Post by zaneiel »

Hey guys,

I am currently working on a network engine for C#

after looking at a bunch of network library's and finding most of them to be to hard to use or understand ...

I decided to write my own based off .NET (alot of info from sybex .NET Network programming book)

besides my thread problem with the database (wich has been resolved), I am finding it super easy to use .NET for writing this network engine. when i am finished i should have a network server (and example code for a client) that will support the following:

over 350 max connections
(this is a limit i set for myself, not sure how high it can go, i have had over 100 connections in testing)

database connectivity. (the client sends player name and pass and the server auth's through thte database)

and other functionality that will allow the client to request info from the server (via database lookup) such as player inventory, player mail, money, zone, position, etc etc etc

if anyone can think of something cool to add let me know, i hope to get this thing rolling within the next week and release my code if anyone is interested in free network code :lol:

I just wish i had found something this easy allready written when i started 8)
Braneloc

Post by Braneloc »

Would definatly be interested to see your approach to this.

Are you using TCP, UDP or a combo of both ?
Sometimes you've just gotta say, the laws of time and space, who gives a smeg ?!

Irrlicht.Net Information - http://www.irrforge.org/index.php/.net
Irrlicht# (aka the C# port) - http://irrlichtsharp.sourceforge.net
zaneiel

Post by zaneiel »

Using TCP as i like the garantee of packet delivery, although i am still figuring out what implementation i am going to use. I started with a multi thread approach wich seems to work ok but there were some small problems with implementing a command interface and relaying messages between clients so i am taking a slightly different approach still using multi threading. Its definetly a challenge since network programming isn't as much fun as alot of other parts of game design :)
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

What happened to this? I really would like to see this done!