WHERe to start???

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Fido

WHERe to start???

Post by Fido »

O.K. im really new to this stuf, but i just decided to learn to make games.
I found this free game engine, i got c++ compiler and lots of tools. I know alot about computers and stuff, but i could'n write a "hello world" program myself.

I want to learn to use irrlicht, but i have to learn c++ first.. I tried reading a few books and a few tutorials on that, but they just start talking about math,
and other stuf that is so borring and i quit reading right then. I dont whant to know how stuff works, i just want to know HOW TO WRITE PROGRAMS.

WHERE to start, WHAT to read? any tips ???

thx alot... im on my way to a hardcore programers title now :)
ErUs

Post by ErUs »

Games are all about math. if you cant do the math you cant make a game.

if you really wanna learn how to make games and programs i suggest you sit down and read the books.
Fido

Post by Fido »

Yeah, i know games are all abouth math, so is all this PC thing...
But as far as i understand you need pure math only in the begining when making game engine, physics, etc... And thats what for i'v got irrlicht and newton... I thought that when i have this i wil only have to learn the comands or something like that... So am i wrong after all? if so, than il try reading those books again.

theese are the books:
"3d Game engine design: a partical aproach to Real-time computer graphics
"Creating emotion in games"
"Teach yourself game programing in 24 hours"
"Hardcore AI for computer games and animation"
"introduction to 3d game programing with DirectX9"
"Advanced 3d game programing with DirectX9"

Which would you advice to read, and witch to throw away?

thx...
boboS

Post by boboS »

throw away this -> " Teach yourself game programing in 24 hours"
sounds really bad.. (maybe Im wrong)
I dunno the rest but I think u should start with a C++ book first if u dont know this language.
After u finished C++ try to see some openGL tutorials from NeHe..
As your ship is going down
ll stand by and watch you drown
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

here is a nice C++ website its good for clearing up hard bit in programming but i doesnt actually teach you the mehod (ie turing ideas to algorithms)

http://www.phim.unibe.ch/comp_doc/c_man ... index.html
boboS

Post by boboS »

hmm that could be confusing for an C++ newbie;
try this:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... ruce#28779
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

To be honest " Teach yourself game programing in 24 hours" actually DOES sound more like what you want. You won't need to know about direct3d if you're using irrlicht.

You need a tutorial that teaches programming through making a game, rather than a straight "learn c++" book - because games are only one of many things c++ is used for. And you might find the other things boring.

If you've got a c++ compiler setup and can compile any of the examples in irrlicht you can start by modifying them (like change the models loaded, combining things from the different examples).
boboS

Post by boboS »

xDan wrote:To be honest " Teach yourself game programing in 24 hours" actually DOES sound more like what you want. You won't need to know about direct3d if you're using irrlicht.

You need a tutorial that teaches programming through making a game, rather than a straight "learn c++" book - because games are only one of many things c++ is used for. And you might find the other things boring.

If you've got a c++ compiler setup and can compile any of the examples in irrlicht you can start by modifying them (like change the models loaded, combining things from the different examples).
But how u can modify things if u dont know C++ ??? Thts is kind n00b solution. And " Teach yourself game programing in 24 hours" sound bad because I guess it wont contain all stuff u need.

Also I think u must atleast have a look at some C++ tutorials. Irrlicht wont learn u C++. U cant just change things just like that...
TheWorstCoderEver

Post by TheWorstCoderEver »

Take some time and read "C++ language" by Bjorne Stroustrup. It's a book on general programming in C++, written by the very author of the language.
By time you've read most of it you should have firm grip on concepts behind C++. Not that it will make you a C++ programmer.

One advice from the worst coder who ever happened to walk this very Earth: code is merely representation of concept, so the key to successful programming is TO THINK IN CONCEPTS. Think of the problem, analyse it, create solution, and only then write code to represent this solution. End of advice.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

boboS wrote:But how u can modify things if u dont know C++ ??? Thts is kind n00b solution.
it's how I learnt to code (admittidly in an easier langauge though :P perhaps c++ is too hard to learn this way).

he could quite easy replace the text saying "sydney.md2" or whatever it is with another file name. replace all the models and you have *something* resembling a game. then perhaps he will be inspired enough to continue learning (yes I know it's not coding exactly but it's still worth doing)
Fido

Post by Fido »

Yeah i did modified the stuff, it's quite easy since im not a noob at PC(just at c++)but i wont be good if i just modify stuff...

So thx for your time guys, i'l go reading now :)

P.S: whoaa, i went to local library and found "C++ for dumies", i just love theese books.
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

xDan wrote:
boboS wrote:But how u can modify things if u dont know C++ ??? Thts is kind n00b solution.
it's how I learnt to code (admittidly in an easier langauge though :P perhaps c++ is too hard to learn this way).

he could quite easy replace the text saying "sydney.md2" or whatever it is with another file name. replace all the models and you have *something* resembling a game. then perhaps he will be inspired enough to continue learning (yes I know it's not coding exactly but it's still worth doing)
This is a process called 'modding'. I learned most of my C++ skills (not too perfect but enough to understand and write simple programs) from analyzing Quake 2 source code and modding it. crated a few interesting mods and things while 'learning' c++...
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
finger007

Post by finger007 »

Hi Rusty,
This is a process called 'modding'.
Sure you didn't meant 'trial and error'? ;)
It surely works, but imho takes longer than starting at the basics and read+learn them. I'm with boboS on this.
Fido, your on the right way - at least i think ;) But Rusty is right on one thing for sure: you got to use it all the time. Otherwise you'll never understand it...
Lots of luck!

Cheers,
finger007
stodge

Post by stodge »

Mod an existing game or try something like PyGame, or something with less programming and more authoring.

Take a look at the Engine list on http://www.devmaster.net
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

finger007 wrote:Hi Rusty,
This is a process called 'modding'.
Sure you didn't meant 'trial and error'? ;)
It surely works, but imho takes longer than starting at the basics and read+learn them. I'm with boboS on this.
Fido, your on the right way - at least i think ;) But Rusty is right on one thing for sure: you got to use it all the time. Otherwise you'll never understand it...
Lots of luck!

Cheers,
finger007
umm... no, I did not mean 'trial and error' (hate it with all my being - probably because of my math teacher who spent half the school year teaching us to use 'guess and check')

Hey, I never read any programming books cover-to-cover, they get really boring after a while (If you have fallen to the modding disease, those who have- you'll understand me). I read Quake 2 modding tutorials with all of their explanations 8) and learned a lot - enough to understand most C++ and have the ability to write some programs, but it takes a long time, and you lose the ability if you don't, ah, practice... :wink:
So if you haven't fallen to the modding disease :lol: , read the books, but if you have, have some fun... (I have fallen and do have fun...) :wink:
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.