How to implement Footprint effect?

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
moonshine721

How to implement Footprint effect?

Post by moonshine721 »

I'm ding some work in a team for a game by using irrlicht.My task is to implement Footprint effect.But I don't know how to map a footprint texture
above a certain position of a Terrian.Should I get the UV coordinate of the
Footprint,And add a new texture layer above the Terrian texture at that UV coordinate?If so,Can Irrlicht do this?
HI.I'm Chrisalane.Nice to meet many crazy game developer here.
sudi

Post by sudi »

it can....but remember u can only have two texture layers on a face....so when u for exampel got the texture and the lightmap there is no room for footprints.....ok u could bind them into ur lightmap but i can'T help u with that.
U should use the decal scenenode somewhere in this forum
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
moonshine721

I have to find the UV coordinates from the relative geometry

Post by moonshine721 »

Thanks for ur suggestion.but I cant find any "decal scenenode"related topics in this forum.So long as I found that the Quake3 Engine just have got only 8 texture layers each material,So if it create fooeprint by adding a new texture layer,It'll not be enough either.I think there must be some other way for solving this.
As Irrlicht only have got 2 texture layers,Should I just using Texture1 layer as the Terrian texture,&Texture2 layer as the footprint layer?If I do sth like this,I have to find the UV coordinates from the relative geometry Verticies.Does Irrlicht support this kind of operations?
jam

Re: I have to find the UV coordinates from the relative geom

Post by jam »

moonshine721 wrote:Thanks for ur suggestion.but I cant find any "decal scenenode"related topics in this forum.
decal scenenode link
moonshine721

Decal SceneNode doesn't works well!!!

Post by moonshine721 »

I've read "Armen 138"'s Decal SceneNode Class.But it can't implement the footprint effect either! Decal SceneNode just add a new decal ploy above the flat plane just like wall,blacboard,etc.
But pay attention to that:The Terrian may not be flat all the time! If I just paste the decal texture above the intersection point&triangle,it might cross other triangles which have an angle between our intersection triangle!
The War craft3 represent footprint perfectly,Is there Anybody who can just tell me how does a commercial game solve this problem?
garrittg

Post by garrittg »

judging by the posted image, i think the following potentially has what you are looking for, but unfortunately the author never posted any code (not sure if they were even planning on that). you may be able to PM/contact the author and see where its at.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... light=tyre