difference between window and fullscreen?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
drarem

difference between window and fullscreen?

Post by drarem »

I was coding with windowed version, switched to fullscreen and everything is moving very slowly.. I have to change the increments from 0.4 to 6.0 to get any decent speed.. is that a common thing?

Also for what it's worth, here's my website.

http://drarem.ms11.net
Elise

Post by Elise »

Haven't noticed anything like this.
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

It sounds like your code might not written to be frame rate independent. If that is the case, you should be able to find lots of posts on how to fix that.
Baal Cadar

Post by Baal Cadar »

Do you preserve resolution, or does it differ between windowed and fullscreen?
Grey Lantern

Post by Grey Lantern »

Definitely what Vitek said. What is happening is in windowed mode you may be running in a lower res or bit depth (even if you think you have 32 bit your desktop could be 16 bit so your game will be) and you get more FPS. When in fullscreen (or higher res) the frame rate drops because of eithre more pixels or more depth (32bit). It should be noted that depending on your gfx card, in the same res and bit depth you could normally expect higher frame rates in fullscreen. But no always. ;)

In essence you then see slower updates so your objects move more slowly. Time based modeling (delta timing) is what you need if you are doing manul movments, or failing that use irrlicht animators which are already time based and not frame based.
drarem

Post by drarem »

interesting...

ok then this should be easy..

1) When I set up my object using the animator, how do I change the movement vector, eg.. from stationary to moving left or right - user controlled via the arrow keys - during runtime? In other words, I can give objects a gravity vector and the object moves in that direction - now that I've typed this out and I have other things to do first, is there a setGravity()?

2) Is there a way to have the gravity without the acceleration? More like a movement vector via the animators?

Thanks.
drarem

Post by drarem »

I've found this and applied it thusly:

Code: Select all

void Screen::alterCourse(int n, vector3df vx) {
     anim[n]->setGravity(vx);
     node[n]->addAnimator(anim[n]);
}
If the object is already moving, then the movement is added ten-fold and the object moves off the screen.. if I stop the object first and then add the animator, it moves smoothly off the screen.

Also, it seems the setGravity has an acceleration component - how would I counteract that effect?