I'm not a beginner but... where the frik is the setting...?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
dracflamloc

I'm not a beginner but... where the frik is the setting...?

Post by dracflamloc »

To change the radius of texture bluring/lod. Right now by default textures start looking muddy ridiculously close to the camera. It looks terrible.

I must be blind =\
JP

Post by JP »

as far as i know there's no settings like that, what dimensions are the textures? Maybe they're being stretched? how about a screenshot showing what it looks like from different distances?
Image Image Image
Baal Cadar

Post by Baal Cadar »

There is no setting to bias mipmap distances, but maybe you don't need it. By default Irrlicht uses bilinear filtering, which is old and ugly, it also supports triliear filtering which lessens the hard transitions between multiple mipmap levels and it is only slightly slower than bilinear filtering. For best results activate anisotropic filtering, this should get rid of the problem altogether, as this doesn't need mipmaps, because it filters on the fly. I don't know where to set the sampling area for this, as Irrlicht doesn't export this setting.

The filtering can be set in the SMaterial, see API docs.
No offense :)
dracflamloc

Post by dracflamloc »

Ok thanks for the info I'll check it out but I have a feeling irrlicht isn't going to be my choice for this project anymore. It can barely handle 64 cube meshes on the screen at once on my pwoerhouse pc.
Baal Cadar

Post by Baal Cadar »

64 cube meshes are no problem; when done right.
I can bring even Ogre to its knees with 64 badly made cube meshes (like with putting each single face into a seperate submesh. GPUs love that.)
No offense :)
Xharock

Post by Xharock »

bool irr::video::SMaterial::AnisotropicFilter

Is anisotropic filtering enabled? Default: false.

In Irrlicht you can use anisotropic texture filtering in conjunction with bilinear or trilinear texture filtering to improve rendering results. Primitives will look less blurry with this flag switched on.
That should be what you're looking for...
Acki

Post by Acki »

dracflamloc wrote:Ok thanks for the info I'll check it out but I have a feeling irrlicht isn't going to be my choice for this project anymore. It can barely handle 64 cube meshes on the screen at once on my pwoerhouse pc.
Even 1000 cubes are no problem !!!
The callback demo from Newton let 1000 cubes fall down to the ground and there is no delay at all... ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
dracflamloc

Post by dracflamloc »

Well.. I guess it depends on your definition of "barely handle". To me, that few cubes should not bring the fps down to 50fps. Esp not on a 3.2ghz p4 with a radeon x800
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

That's what all those kind replies should make you understand. It does not bring the FPS down to 50 fps if you do not mess around with some weird setup. I get more than 50 fps even on my notebook' ATI mobility already 3 years old. Maybe you could describe your scene and let us help with tuning your settings.