A thesis and a case of study realized with Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
r3i

A thesis and a case of study realized with Irrlicht

Post by r3i »

Hi guys!,
at 25/5 I've had the final exam at the University of Studies of Salerno in computer Scienze.
My thesis was: A Framework for visualization of 3d realtime and interactive scenarios.
It was about 3d engines and a case of study that I've realized using Irrlicht: a reconstruction of the botanic gardens of Salerno, "Giardini della Minerva" that allow to a user to navigate the reconstruction and access to the archive of the garden through panels positioned in the scene.

As soon I'll post some screen shot :)
"We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have, Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest: is art of Madness" (H.James)
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Will be interesting.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

Hi r3i,

I'm Giovanni, I think that your work is very good!!
First: Best Wishes!!! :D
Second: I write irrlicht tutorials for the GameProgramming Italia
www.gameprog.it

Why don't you send to G.P.I. the thesis so anyone can upload it?
I think is good to share those good works to help other people to understand how to make a complex 3d graphic applications.

I think you know GPI, there you can find contacts that help you to upload your work if you want!!!

Bye (Post a screenshot soon!)
Everyone for the game and the game for everyone
bokybokx_88

Just a q..

Post by bokybokx_88 »

Hey I'm BOkx, 20 yrs old. I'm a Filipino Com Scie Students and I will be taking up my thesis this January.... I looking for good proposals.. I guess using Irrlicht could be a big help..... I'm planning to propose a First Person Multiplayer Game...
But I had just recently Dowloaded the SDK, could I ask some help and tips on maximizing the Irrlicht?
Thanks again...
Ever Newbie!! Ever Faithful!!! Ever Dynamic!!! Just Your Guy Next Door!!! Forever
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Hi BOkX,
wow - doing the thesis with 20 already? The youngest student in my com scie course was about 22 in the first semester ;-).

But i wouldn't recommend doing a Mulitplayer FPS. I don't know how much time you have for doing the thesis (here it's about half a year), but chances are high you won't finish it in time, or maybe you get something running, but it will be so basic that it feels like crap. A mulitplayer FPS is quite a big task. I think it's a better idea to concentrate on some specific part of game development in a thesis and try to do that well, instead of doing a complete game. There are many interesting areas to work at, just giving you some examples:
- Engine architectures. Find the basic architectural elements of 3D-Engines. Compare several open source engines and describe the advantages/disadvantages of the approaches they used in implementing them. If you got some time left, write a few simple testscenes to compare the speeds.
- Light and/or Shadow techniques. Actually there are a lot thesis ideas in that. You can chechout techniques in realtime lighting, rendering stuff, pre-rendered lights used in realtime (like lightmaps) and lots of realtime shadow techniques which can keep you busy for half a year.
- Network transmission. Games have some very harsh restrictions on network layout. From simple turn-based protocolls, realtime games which need some dead reconing up to massive multiplayer architectures
- AI. Infite thesis possibilities ;). Pathfinding algorithms in different environments (a-star is really just a small part of that, partioning complicated environments can be for example a lot more work). Autonomous learning. Coordinated unit movement. Emotional Bot responses.
- Physics. Another inifite big field.

Uh - there are a lot more areas to work at. But i guess you get the idea.
Well, good luck to you in any way ;)