The Frequently Asked Questions

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
fullforce

Post by fullforce »

I'd really love to start learning your great engine, it looks amazing and this being my first 3D program I hope to lean tons, I am just wondering what is the most current (and available way to compile Irrlicht? Can't wait
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

There's no "one and only way" to compile Irrlicht. There are several options and it's all a matter of personal choice regarding to which compiler and IDE you like the most.

The most popular free alternatives are:
-DEVC++: uses gcc as compiler
-Codeblocks: works with gcc, msvctoolkit 2003, and the bleeding edge version detects the msvc2005 express compiler as well
-Msvc2005 express: Ms's IDE and compiler included

On the commercial side you can use MSVC6.0, Msvc 7.0 (.net), codewarrior, etc.
Some others have succeeded on compiling Irrlicht with Borland.

I'd suggest you start trying one out; the best way to learn is by doing things and screwing things up a bit.
fullforce

Post by fullforce »

"Msvc2005 express: Ms's IDE and compiler included "

Anything already included sounds really great! I'm guessing it stands for Microsoft's something c++ 2005 express?

Anyway once I get a copy of it is there a manual on how to compile because I only see a readme in the docs.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I guess you haven't downloaded the Irrlicht SDK yet. When you uncompress the source zip you'll have different projects ready for msvc6,7, 8 (express 2005), devc++ and codeblocks. If you link the folders appropriately you'll get the Irrlicht dll compiled flawlessly, no matter which project you use to compile it.

you can get the msvc express edition here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/expre ... fault.aspx

Now it's time you get your hands dirty; honestly I think we've more than helped you get started here.
fullforce

Post by fullforce »

It's true you have, and it's more than time I go on my own but you have to understand that I have never compiled a engine before so I don't know what you mean by link the folders or how to do it. Once I do though I'm sure I can hit compile watch the action try it out and start on the hello world tutorial. Thanks a ton for your help!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I don't thinnk that these discussion will help people browsing the FAQ for a quick solution of their problems.
afecelis, could you please either move this discussion to a new thread, or just remove it.
Acki

Post by Acki »

You don't need to compile the engine !!!
It's already compiled...

Maybe later if you want to change things of the engine or using GCC and want to use DirectX...
And for this have a look at my site for my IrrExtensions... 8)

Just download Irrlicht, install it and work through the examples... ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java