I quit my job today for irrlicht

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
juliusctw

Hola Vermeer

Post by juliusctw »

Hola Vermeer

no sabía que hablas español, de donde eres? si has visto fotos de mi, yo soy chino, pero yo he vivido en muchas países, yo solía vivir en Madrid, fui por la universidad allí,

muy encontado, :D
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

Perdone, me no habla espanol.
me hable ingles (and russian)

about the only thing I can say in spanish....
всё что я могу сказать по испанскии.... :lol:
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
Isgalvotas

Post by Isgalvotas »

Best luck with passion in IRRLICHT ! :wink:
Other

Re: I quit my job today for irrlicht

Post by Other »

juliusctw wrote:I don't want to work to build things I don't want to build for the money. The last thing this world needs is more of the stuff i build.
So now I am 25 years old, and I am about to go broke, I will have no income and I don't even know how long my savings can last me... yet deep down inside, i feel a sense of relief and freedom and no money can buy.
But I have to chase after my own dreams because it is my life. It is my choice what I want to use my life for. And I have chosen to use my life to create something that will help other people. : )
RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D
My Irrlicht&ODE-Project: http://www.lofing.de/myworld/
TheMcCann

Re: Thank you guys for the support

Post by TheMcCann »

juliusctw wrote: ps: Let's just say I have a glove that contains motion and pressure sensors. So when you move your hand, the (x,y,z) translation are actually sent to the computer. When you bend your fingers, callbacks are sent as well, as well as when you press on finger tips. Right now, it still requires a USB connection but i'm working on getting it wireless. Any suggestions on how I can program an API so anybody that has this glove can program it however they want?
Umm, hate to break it to you, but this has pretty much already been done by 2 senior electrical engineering students at Cornell University. Their project was also published in the magazine "Circuit Cellar".

http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/pr ... /index.htm
Neuman

Post by Neuman »

I've worked for two different government contractors, and I can see why you'd quit. At first it was kind of cool writing diagnostic software for military vehicles and inspecting the triggers in missile nose cones. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this is not something I'd want to devote my life's work to, designing machines of destruction.

If you can, try moving to a place with cheap rent, like the American rust belt. I can live on $400 a month if I share a flat with a few friends. Third world countries are even better, if you live near one.
juliusctw

yep

Post by juliusctw »

@Mc

I knew my idea of building that kinda device wasn't new, but that's not what i'm really building, just something i could add on

@Neu

I thouhgt about moving to a third world country for a couple of years with my meager saving, but my partner for the project said, he'll help me out with the money while we build this thing together, since he is still working full time.

@to everybody

just in case people are curious, things are going reeeeaaaally well, if only i can figure out why the terrains are killing the frame rate, and i need to get some artists,

my project also has attracted some venture capitalist since it is very promising, but so far they all want alot for very little, maybe when i have build more, i will have more bargining chip in my hand, i'll keep you guys posted,

like i have said, my project will make irrlicht programmers wealthy (if you are good) so i would appreciate any help

I am also now actively looking for human animation artists, it would be volunteer for now until i have my money issue settled with venture capitalists, once i got money, i would pay 100 for a single animated mesh in X or md2 format. i end up using, if an artists join the team now, he or she will be promised a high paying job, and a share of the company once it is established,

i give special preference to blender

I prefer locals, so we can meet if possible, i live near boston, but if you are good, we can make exceptions, so here are all the updates,

i will keep working hard
bicunisa

Post by bicunisa »

The best of lucks to you juliusctw, I'm doing practically the same as you.

I didn't get a very good job under contract, and went for a time limited well paid project. This way I will get some money and can devote to do what I want for some months (maybe a couple of years).

Trying to make money of this may sound daunting, but I think it is very possible, even here in Mexico ;)

Good luck and best wishes,
Adrián De la Cruz.

This is the project I'm working in my spare time:
http://aztlanrpg.net/ (it's in spanish).

It's a very demanding project so I'm taking it with calm, I know I will need some years to finish it up. So in the mean time I'm working in other projects, maybe in a month or 2 I will be able to show the little shooter I'm making with Irrlicht (still getting the hang out of what's the best production pipeline).
OMG another MMORPG project! AztlanRPG