A question for you all.

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
300happy

A question for you all.

Post by 300happy »

Ok, I know NOTHING of C++, but this engine looks cool. I can model 3d charecters somewhat decent in Truespace 3, and that about covers my skills there, unless you consider experience with MMF(Multi Media Fusion, www.clickteam.com) any kind of help.

I want to know, is this easy to learn to do? Or will I spend weeks before I can make a 3d spinning cube?

My dream is to make a 3d adventure game kinda with the physics of Mario 64, but it focuses on exploration and has lots of NPCs and stuff instead of being a simple "get all the shiney things". Is it even feasable to do this with just me?

Thanks in advance for a reply! :D
keless

Post by keless »

Learning C++ is a little hard to do.

Using IrrLicht to model a cube is very easy.

Writing an actual game in any language with any API, is VERY hard to do.

Realistically, we're speaking years. That said, if you really want to learn C++, and game programming, I'd say IrrLicht will be helpful for you.
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
300happy

Re: keless

Post by 300happy »

Thanks.

I'll start with a smaller project then, like maybe making a ball bounce up and down or something. Do you know of a good place to go to start learning C++? I have tried the C++ fourms in several places, but they don't respect newbies who need help. :( The only useful reply I had gotten(out of 17) is one telling me to go buy a book that cost around $75 and get out of their face. :cry:

Anyway, I also have Jamagic(same site as before), but I don't know if that will work with a C++ engine, as it already has a terrible built in engine.(I can't even make a water plain intersect anything else, otherwise it smears the textures everywhere.) Probably not, as it uses it's own language. :roll:

What modeler do you recommend for making levels with? I have Truespace 3, and Anim8or(or however you spell it), but nither are meant for levels, just charecters. Any suggestions?

Post by Guest »

The physics part could be hard as irrlicht does not have a built in physics engine. You might look at new physics API in C it is located here http://www.physicsengine.com It is still in beta but look really really great :!:
keless

Post by keless »

there are some good C++ tutorials (as well as some graphics tutorials after that) at http://www.gametutorials.com

If you dont already have a C++ compiler, I suggest DevCPP: http://www.bloodshed.net
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Also, the 'Beginner Forum' here is C++ new user friendly. Quite a few of us, myself included, transitioned from Visual Basic and learned C++ to specifically to use Irrlicht. I still ask stupid questions.

There is a free C++ e-book called "Thinking in C++": http://www.bruceeckel.com/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

This page is may have parts over your head and stuff you may never use, but I've found ideas in it: http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=8028742&m=0&p=0
Crud, how do I do this again?
tstuefe

Post by tstuefe »

probably some game construction kit like Darkbasic (http://www.darkbasic.com ) or similar would be the right thing for you - though you will have somewhat less freedom in what you do (programming a game in pure C++ atop of directX or a small layer like irrlicht gives you a lot of freedom) (and something to brag abot :-) ).

I always recommend darkbasic for youngsters who have the urge to program a game but no experience in C/C++. Starting with C/C++ right away will probably frustrate them and make them run out of steam very soon, which would be a pity, because game programming is the most fun way to lear how to program.

..thomas
300happy

re: tstuefe

Post by 300happy »

tstuefe wrote:probably some game construction kit like Darkbasic (http://www.darkbasic.com ) or similar would be the right thing for you - though you will have somewhat less freedom in what you do (programming a game in pure C++ atop of directX or a small layer like irrlicht gives you a lot of freedom) (and something to brag abot :-) ).

..thomas
The only reason I can't use Darkbasic: MMF was Object Oriented Programming, and I have no idea how to use Darkbasic to do the same thing(multiple enemies all acting the same for example). :roll: As a result, I couldn't figure it out. All the examples that they had with the demo didn't help either, they were all fully functional games, which are useless for learning the code. :?

So that is why I want to learn C++. Because then I can actually do something in 3d, with an OOP language. :)

Off topic I know, but does anyone know of a 3d game creation system that is OOP and reasonably priced? I tried Jamagic from clickteam, but the 3d engine is terrible. Any others out there?
disanti

Post by disanti »

I find learning C++ quite fun. I transitioned from Jamagic pretty fast. I really don't recommend DarkBasic, IMHO, it is actually harder than Irrlicht and isn't free either XP. I just recommend you bite the bullet and learn C++. Look into classes for OOP. C++ is alot like Jamagic except it has its rules (in Jamagic you don't have to worry about int,float,double,long, etc...)

Right now I'm working on a 3D FPS and so far so good! :) I'm only having problems with water. :P But I'm sure I will fix that soon.
________
Lincoln mark lt history
Last edited by disanti on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
300happy

Re: disanti

Post by 300happy »

I guess I'll try it then. Wish me luck.

Umm, what all do I need to start working? :?

I have:

Borland Turbo C++ for windows, version 4.5
Truespace 3.2
Anim8or

And now will get whatever is in the zip file for this engine. Where do I start? What do I do? :shock:

I sure hope you guys can handle a bunch of questions from a newbie. :wink: :roll:
300happy

Edit to the above

Post by 300happy »

Scratch that. I DON'T have Borland C++ at all. The program won't work in XP, won't even install right.

I guess I need a new C++ compiler.

I also am getting really lost. I have a bunch of files names .lib and stuff, and only one exe, and NO idea where a help file is. Took me 15 minuites just to find the readme.txt file.

Is there a simple C++ compiler that I can use to learn the basics about the code without simply being thrown into the mess of files with no idea what does what?

I haven't even started coding anything and I already feel dizzy. :shock:
disanti

Post by disanti »

I'm not sure if Irrlicht works with Borland compilers. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I think you should get DevC++ or Visual C++. They both seem to work fine with Irrlicht! I'm pretty sure that you have to have the DirectX 9.1b SDK to compile the Irrlicht library/dll (not required though). I prefer to recompile when I get a new version though. :P

Hope this helps~ John DiSanti

P.S. I personally don't like Truespace, I recommend 3DS Max (VERY EXPENSIVE) or Anim8or. Milkshape will also work out here.
Also, noobs are excepted in the Beginners section ;). I will try to help you to the best of my ability when you have a question.
________
Ipad Guides
Last edited by disanti on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
buhatkj

learning how to code...

Post by buhatkj »

well, it takes a while. to be honest i'd start with a simpler procedural panguage first if i were you, or if you want to jump right into object oriented languages learn java. maybe javascript even. javascript was my first language, i just made it do funny stuff with webpages. once you get used to the idea that the computer does what you tell it to, move up to a compiled language, or semi-compiled anyway, like java. c++ is about the most full-featured language out there (most features, most options), but that also makes it complex, especially for a beginner. i went to college for 6 years to learn how to do this(among other things) and you don't need that much certainly, but i would expect to spend about two years almost full time to really be able to at least touch on all the areas of programming, and get a good feel for the basics. you can do a crash course in maybe 2 months, full time.
on your own, the best way to learn is to download some code, compile it, run it, and see what it does. then comment out something out and see what changes, and keep doin that till you learn what all the command mean.

as far as books, the only c++ book you need is "the c++ programming language", which is the original, by bjarne stroustrup, who invented c++. it's IMHOP the best, and most complete there is, however, it is at LEAST college level, and you can tell from the writing style. for other languages like java, javascript, visual basic i'd check out the o'reilly series of books. they never steered me wrong.

for compilers, give dev-c++ a shot, it's free!

good luck dude!
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Java is also based upon C++ IIRC, it is a simplified version of C++ that they were going to use for some domestic appliance or something. Never done Java myself but I am told it is a good stepping stone to go on to C++.
Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok »

Tyn wrote:Java is also based upon C++ IIRC, it is a simplified version of C++ that they were going to use for some domestic appliance or something. Never done Java myself but I am told it is a good stepping stone to go on to C++.
:D I must disagree, Java is more than just a simplified version of C++. It should be taken as a mature and responsible programming language :lol:
Many companies in reallife build their commercial software upon java.

OK no more jokes, C++ rocks, but is hell if you come from a programming language that has a garbage collector. If I had to learn it all again I would jump into the river and learn C++ from the start with the internet in the back and a nice book on my side. :wink: