Questionb about c++ for Irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
JoeriDC

Questionb about c++ for Irrlicht

Post by JoeriDC »

This question sounds maybe stupid, but here it goes...

Theer are two c++'s VC++ and the unmanaged c++ that you use in devc++

I mentioned that in the tut's the namepsace irr is used and not irrlicht.
I just want to now for what version of c++ irrlicht is made. (version + editor )

i want to convert my vb.net project to c++.

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

:shock: :roll: :?
No, I don't think that you're ready to convert anything to c++. Or you have some problems to express yourself. But what you're saying does not really make sense.
There is only one programming language named C++, with several versions already, but still just one language. There are several compilers for this language out there, and every compiler brings slight modifications to the language (compared to the standard), and some extensions. But the major part is still the same for all compilers. So there's just one c++, and thus Irrlicht is made for all of them. The managed code version Irrlicht.NET is completely different, works only with MSVC.NET versions (so not just the one named as such, but...), and is to be used by C# programmers first of all.
Namespaces can be chosen by the programmer, Niko chose irr as top level namespace (because you may have to type it several times in your code). there is no namspace named irrlicht.
JoeriDC

Post by JoeriDC »

so I can compile those tutorials with VC++.net 2005 using Irr?

I don't know c++ very well, but i noticed that you can do more with Irrlicht in c++ then vb.Net.

I asked because a saw c++ tutorals with cout << "blabla" ; and in the tutorials printf( "blabla");

that's why I asked it too :)

I will learn this language now.

gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

yeah, learn some english now :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

VC++.Net just provides additional access and integration (in)to the .NET language family. But you can ignore that part completely and take it as a usual C++ compiler. The .net version of Irrlicht is continuously evolving, but it is always more or much more behind the C++ version.
Since C++ is an extended C you can use C functions without any problems, so if you do not need more functionality than printf provides it is ok to use it. that's up to the programmer.
boboS

Post by boboS »

gfxstyler wrote:
yeah, learn some english now :)
u learn some common sense now :) :twisted:
As your ship is going down
ll stand by and watch you drown
JoeriDC

Post by JoeriDC »

thanks for the info