GUI options

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
BLiTZWiNG

GUI options

Post by BLiTZWiNG »

I have been contemplating using Irrlicht for a very long time, but I don't like C++ that much, so now that I've found the .NET version I can use it in C#.

But I see the GUI part of the wrapper is not yet complete, so I was wondering what options I have for adding gui support to my game at this present state of the wrapper (and of course, the present state of Irrlicht#).

Can I extend the gui myself? From what I've been reading it appears not, but I thought I had better ask just in case.

Are there any .net gui libraries (that's a question in itself...) that work with irrlicht that anyone knows of?

Thanks.
teromt

Post by teromt »

Are there any .net gui libraries (that's a question in itself...) that work with irrlicht that anyone knows of?
Of course you can use the .NET own GUI components if you embed the Irrlicht in .NET form or panel. This way you can do what ever you please with the gui. But there are of course few drawbacks with that.

- The GUI is "separeted" from the 3D rendering so you can forget all fancy effects.

- Also the screen resize etc. doesn't currently work very well with .NET version. E.g. if form is resized (this happens when the form is created), the Irrlicht device will not be.
DeusXL

Re: GUI options

Post by DeusXL »

BLiTZWiNG wrote:But I see the GUI part of the wrapper is not yet complete, so I was wondering what options I have for adding gui support to my game at this present state of the wrapper (and of course, the present state of Irrlicht#).
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=14039 :roll:

I'm must tell you (it will perhaps sound like what teromt said). If you want an external GUI (for instance a launcher or an external menu), you should not use Irrlicht's GUI System but things like Windows Forms... And then when the user clicks on "Play" you start Irrlicht.
If you want to integrate an in-game GUI (or a simple menu with things like "Play", "Load", "Save"...) not complex but which needs to be rendered at the same time as 3D, Irrlicht GUI is perfect and will be easier to integrate into your application.
Also the screen resize etc. doesn't currently work very well with .NET version. E.g. if form is resized (this happens when the form is created), the Irrlicht device will not be.
It should not be very hard to integrate it... Actually I did not test but only by firing IVideoDriver::OnResize(Dimension2D dim) the engine should be resized... I'll try this to see how the engine reacts.
Irrlicht .NET complete and Cross Platform Wrapper
The kid on my avatar wrote:A painless lesson is one without any meaning