image in 3D

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
juliusctw

image in 3D

Post by juliusctw »

Hello

I have no problem with displaying 2d image on the screen, but how in the world do you display images in the 3D world. I tried to use the billboard, but it always turns to face the camera. :? I just want a simple 3D image and place them on 4 vertices in space, how is that normally done?
cadue

Post by cadue »

Look the example "custom scene node", there is a very simple custom scene node that draw a polygon. in the code there is the position of the vertexes. You can modify them like you want
excuse me for my bad english and for my ignorance...but I'm 14 and i come from Italy, where the study of english is a optional (-:
cadue

Post by cadue »

you also can create a simple piane in a graphics software, export, import it in irrlicht and add a texture.
excuse me for my bad english and for my ignorance...but I'm 14 and i come from Italy, where the study of english is a optional (-:
juliusctw

thanx

Post by juliusctw »

thanx

that sounds good, i guess i can write my own plane sceneNode and set the material to the image, how do you adjust the size and shift the image on the plane once you have applied the image?

didn't somebody already write a class for all basic shapes such as plane, square, sphere?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

plane and square is the same. Cube and Sphere are available.
juliusctw

i don't see it anywhere

Post by juliusctw »

I read through the class list, I don't see any squareSceneNodes, or SphereSceneNodes ? :roll:

where is it?
cadue

Post by cadue »

you haven't understand irrlicht. All graphics engine work by the nodes. A node is a polygon, a camera, a light, every object you need.
For draw a very simple poligon you have to set the cordinates of the vertexes or, if what you want draw is a complex object, you must create the object whit a graphics software like 3ds max, maya,blender and next export.
A ISceneNode can "store" each object, but there are another nodes, like IAnimatedMeshSceneNode, ISceneNodeAnimator ect..that derive from ISceneNode but have some new functions
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Sphere scene node will be part of Irrlicht 1.1 and is available via SVN right now. Plane and square are just the same (as long as you have finite planes), I did not say that they are available already. But you can use the cube scene node (formerly known as test scene node) and scale it in one dimension to a very thin box.