How to run the compiled helloworld code in VC++ 6.0

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
hkolli

How to run the compiled helloworld code in VC++ 6.0

Post by hkolli »

hi all ,

i successfully compiled the helloworld.cpp code in VC++ 6.0 . when i run it i get an error " the application has failed as the irrlicht.dll is not found " . reload the application " . but i have included in the libaray file in the options the folder containing irrlicht.dll .

please tell me what has to be done . i m a new user and i need to use this engine for my project .

thank you
haritha
maeb3rry

Post by maeb3rry »

One thing missing from the help in the helloworld example. I've just started using irrlicht myself and got stuck on this problem too for a little bit. The solution is dead simple - you just need to tell Visual Studio where the irrlicht.dll is.

So, like how you add the \lib and \include directories, you have to also add the \bin to the "Executable files"

hth,
maeb3rry 8)
alc

Post by alc »

or you can copy the DLL to a place, where Windows looks for it. For instance windows\system32 or in the same folder as the exe file.
Baal Cadar

Post by Baal Cadar »

Best is to copy the dll so that it is next to your exe. Copying it to windows\system32 or another system directory is a bad advise IMHO. As there will be version clashes, when you have programs that are linked with different versions of irrlicht. Those can be hard to track down when your forgot that you have placed it to system32.
No offense :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Maybe VC++ projects should be changed just like the dev-cpp projects to move binaries into bin\Win32-VisualC++ (and also Irrlicht.dll) such that executing the binaries will find the dll automatically.
hkolli

Post by hkolli »

hi all

thanks ... i got it .

thanks

haritha kolli