Irrlicht for PSP

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Barts_706

Irrlicht for PSP

Post by Barts_706 »

Hi,

I am writing this just to share the idea I've had.

I think you all know what PSP is - Playstation Portable, a very powerful handheld console. Among other things, it is possible to write programs for it, using unofficial PSPSDK.

Since the console has very powerful 3D acceleration (for a handheld, but there are ports of Quake 1 and Quake 2) and there is already PSPGL project for it (implementation of OpenGL ES), I had the idea that maybe it is powerful enough to port Irrlicht to it. At least partially, maybe not all of its functions.

I am not good enough and I do not have enough time to try it. I am not even sure this is feasible. But I thought I'd share the idea and maybe someone would try to take a shot at it, who knows?

Let me know what you think about it.

Cheers,

Barts
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

you have to conside legal issues aswell. However, if OpenGL ES is being ported to PSP then an implementation of the OpenGL driver could be attempted.
Also, GUI is always an issue on consoles. A new GUI element would have to be writen involving a pointer to the control to the left, right, top and bottom. That way a player can 'tab' between them with the d-pad. Also, a mouse cursor could be emulated with analog/d-pad to move the cursor (like in worms - PS1). There are more considerations then just "Will the graphics work" but its doable :P.
pushpork
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

definitely doable.
a guy called siberianstar did it, he came into the chat room several weeks ago, apparently opengl on the psp does not clip polygons to the view frustrum, it disgards them like software 1 does, giving ugly results.
so among other (math optimization) things, you'll need to take the triangle clipping code from software2 driver and apply it to the opengl driver.
rather than repeating all his hard work, I suggest contacting him and asking if he will publicly release the code ;)
his original thread and contact details are here- http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=13926
Last edited by bitplane on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

It is doable but will be very slow on some scenes.

as we all know irr is slow when it comes to many nodes even on pc's, and according to siberianstar the psp has no Tranform and lighting, imagine having to calculate transformationmatrix*worldmatrix*projectionmatrix

every frame eevry vertex and thats without lighting on a 333mhz ARM

each matrix is 16 elements and multiplying each matrix would invlove 16 multiplies it quickly adds up to huge numbers and thats just displaying static data

animated nodes esp bones with vert weights would become imposiblly slow

It is possible and it would work if ported but most of irrlichts features would be too slow to be practical such as collision detectors and having many nodes

remeber irrlichts RAM footprint it might reduce the RAM left for the actual game, i think i read its has 32megs of shared RAM between Cpu and the VPU

more over it is common for consoles to use palletted textures so watch out for that if ur porting IRR's texture formats
buhatkj

irrlicht is pretty portable

Post by buhatkj »

since its all pretty standardized c++ it should be able to be ported, but you would need to strip out a great deal of useless stuff, like opengl, directx, software 1, all the stuff for those drivers.
I think the best option would be to port the scenegraph, and the apfelbaum software driver.
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
Barts_706

Too late

Post by Barts_706 »

Too late, guys.

They are faster than lightning, I swear. Have a look at this :

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Great-new-3D-E ... /aid/59434

Can't wait to try it.
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

But Irrlicht is so much better 8)
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>