Making REALLY big worlds...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Hextor

Making REALLY big worlds...

Post by Hextor »

Hi everyone!

I'm making an RPG with Irrlicht, and I thought it'd be great to walk about in a HUGE world. What's the best way to do this? Is it possible to put terrain nodes next to each other like tiles, so the engine will load them as they get within far distance?

Is it possible to make holes i terrain nodes, so U can make caves?

Is it possible to add different textures to terrain nodes, so U get cliffs on steep terrain and grass on flat terrain? (and maybe snow on top?)

Hextor,
Acheron
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

I don't know if he still is active on this forum, but cochi has created a terrain "planet", that would take 6.5 years of pressing the up button to go back to the place he started. Normally, he can be found in the #feralengine channel on irc.freenode.net. You might wanna stop by and ask him about it!
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force

Post by Guest »

:) Heey! That's neat! Is that made with Irrlicht?
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

I don't know exactly, i know he's been working w/ ogre, a little bit of neo, and i think he's working on a game core now. I'd definately try to contact him though if that's what your looking for
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force
Cal'Mihe

Post by Cal'Mihe »

*throws a pillow at Hextor*

Get back to coding you! :p

(I got collision detection to work btw H :))

Regarding the 6,5 year planet, wouldn't it either take up an enourmous amount of storage memory if each and every part of it had to be remembered down to some level of detail, or, parts of it would change if you went a little bit away and then came back to the same place ?
Assuming he would use a generator that worked out of a heightmap of some sort, or whatever.
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

I think the way he did it was to dynamically generate it from a series of points. I don't know how he did the memory management.
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force