maya mb support in irredit?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
darkfox404

maya mb support in irredit?

Post by darkfox404 »

do you think niko can write support for mb and ma Maya 7 Files?
theres no way for me to export it to 3ds and .obj losses quality...

and is there an example irrlicht script to get the editor file running?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

It is often not very useful to load editor internal files because they have too much useless information stored. Just figure the correct options for your exporters and use the latest Irrlicht from SVN or the loader patches from my webpage. There are several enhancements for the file types mentioned.
Which editor file?
darkfox404

Post by darkfox404 »

how would i make the .irr to load in irrlicht game w/ out the editor

is there an example code for this in c++?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

In fact I did not check it yet, but it shoudl be getMesh("something.irr") just like to other files.
BTW: If you have a good maa file specification you can do the loader yourself, exisiting and working mesh file loaders have a good chance to be added to the core...
NextDesign

Post by NextDesign »

No he can't. .mb files are proprietary. You could ask for an .fbx importer though.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

3ds had been undocumented for probably 15 years, but almost every tool doing 3d graphics supported the format to some extent. So just because the format is proprietary does not mean that is cannot be supported.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

As far as I remember, .mb files are nothing different than .ma files, but stored in binary form instead of as text. The problem: To implement a .ma/.mb importer, you would need to reimplement the whole MEL envionrment, and that's pretty senseless and would be really a lot of work. Editors able to import those files need a installed maya and just use the maya .dlls, not an option for Irrlicht, of course. :)
darkfox404

Post by darkfox404 »

thx everybody now im just going to need to understand the .x exporter