Bug fix problems ? matrix4::transformBox, projection matrix

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
jolindien

Bug fix problems ? matrix4::transformBox, projection matrix

Post by jolindien »

Hi guys,

Once again i m about crying... but i promise, last time i do that.

I'm talking about the SVN version 1.1alpha.

* matrix4::transformBox is wrong and messing up collisions and culling !

The problem isnt really that there s bug, bugs are normal in developpement. Problem is that someone spotted this AGES ago , posting a potential solution here :
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... ansformbox

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 !!!! and the SVN 1.1alpha version is stiull WRONG!

* Also, the Near plane (zNear) still modify the projection matrice... this is wrong, modifying the near plane should never change the projection.

This also had been spotted before, but still wrong on svn.

I know irrlicht is open source and not professional. I do understand that ppl who can modify svn sources have other things in there life, BUT, this kind of major bugs in such a file "matrix4.h" should be fixed.

So i guess this is mainly a problem of knowing where and what are the bugs. As its clear that guys cant parse the whole forum to find what to correct ... how do you "power" guys do ?
How is it working ? Only posting bugs on the forum ? I dont know much about this kind of developpement (open source), but i know about professionnal video game developpement, and what i know is that softwares like TestTrackPro are the only solution to get the bugs fixed... posting or telling ppl doesnt work (talking by experience).

So if the bug forum is tha basis of the bug fixing on SVN, quite normal this doesnt work.

I'm afraid that many ppl do see bugs, and correct it in their own sources (thx to the forum or not), but the main versions remain wrong :o((.

What i personaly do is writing in a text file the modifcations i do, fixing things so that i can fix bugs at every irrlicht release by checking my text file. No very efficient, but only solution i found.

I hope you guys dont think i m shouting out and loud for nothing, i m just trying to be constructive... so if i can be of any help, just tell me. Dont be afraid, I wont make such a report everytime, just once.
But i believe posting bugs in the forum doesnt seem to be efficient. At least it helps ppl but doesnt fix bugs. :!:
hybrid
Admin

Re: Bug fix problems ? matrix4::transformBox, projection mat

Post by hybrid »

jolindien wrote:* matrix4::transformBox is wrong and messing up collisions and culling !
I seem to have missed that one, at least it wasn't in my patch list
* Also, the Near plane (zNear) still modify the projection matrice... this is wrong, modifying the near plane should never change the projection.
Yes, but the fix wasn't marked as being correct, although Niko asked for that. And I tried to google it up but to no avail (there are so many versions of these matrices)
How is it working ? Only posting bugs on the forum ? I dont know much about this kind of developpement (open source), but i know about professionnal video game developpement, and what i know is that softwares like TestTrackPro are the only solution to get the bugs fixed... posting or telling ppl doesnt work (talking by experience).
The bug tracker on sourceforge is also used, but you have to report bugs there as well. The latest bugs were copied from the bug forum by bitplane.
What i personaly do is writing in a text file the modifcations i do, fixing things so that i can fix bugs at every irrlicht release by checking my text file. No very efficient, but only solution i found.
Using patch files is much more efficient as they can be applied automatically and are more easily to port to new versions.
I hope you guys dont think i m shouting out and loud for nothing, i m just trying to be constructive... so if i can be of any help, just tell me. Dont be afraid, I wont make such a report everytime, just once.
Posting bugs and also remembering their existence from time to time is ok but you should reconsider your style of posting.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

Posting bugs and also remembering their existence from time to time is ok but you should reconsider your style of posting.
You mean you think i was shouting ? i actually wasnt, but i thought that asking again and again for major bugs fix could be taken like so.

So whats wrong with my posting style ? tell me and i'll change to the style you want.

Althought, i simply did all i could to be constructive, dont misunderstand me, but feel free to tell me what you dont like exactly. I simply try to talk about things i know by experience, and to understand how it is working here.

For the projection matrix, what i m doing is simply removing the zNear (as if it was 1.0f = screen) and seems to work fine so far... at least better than a dependant projection matrix.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

Thats ok for bug tracking, if i find sthg new i ll double post here and on the tracker on sourceforge.

Should i do it for those 2 bugs ? or are you in charge ?
hybrid
Admin

Re: Bug fix problems ? matrix4::transformBox, projection mat

Post by hybrid »

Just as an example
jolindien wrote: Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 !!!! and the SVN 1.1alpha version is stiull WRONG!
According to my knowledge of grammar and syntax there are at least 3 exclamation marks too much. And the correct spelling (case) of the last word is as follows: wrong
So simply make your posts completely constructive and avoid any emotional parts which might or might not imply something.
Ok, to come back to the point here, this posting is indeed useful (although it might be as good to post replies in the original threads to bring them back up, but adding links is as good). But posting a fix and adding a (to some extent) tested code fragment to Irrlicht is a different thing. I have checked most changes of the patches previous to adding it to the Irrlicht core. This helps to avoid problems later on and that way I'm also aware of the current state of the algorithms (e.g. if the thing is completely fixed or still requires some work).
But the first step to solving problems or adding features is usually a post of some code changes from the community. So please keep active!
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

ok, no more THIS or this! :D, i should have used "bold" instead on "2005". Sorry.

As for tested code, i do agree, and be sure i wont post anything untested nor wont post anything before being sure of the problem. Althought i can only test with the limitations of the appliaction i m developping.

For posting in the original thread, problem is that there was sthg like 3 topics about the "transformBox" bug. So its now one more, sorry.
Now i ll also use the tracker.

My point was just to know exactly how to remember ppl whi fix things on SVN that there r maybe forgotten bugs.

Now things are clear.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes, although the posting frequency of the bug forum is not as high as that of the beginner's forum it can happen that some reports are lost. So the sf bug tracker is definitely a way to make those things more apparent. But maybe after this or the next Irrlicht version we have fixed most of the reported things such that bug fixing can be done (more or less) immediately without working up all those old things 8)
BTW: Smileys are way better than upper case words :wink: