Problem with animated model from 3d studio max 8

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Cartaa

Problem with animated model from 3d studio max 8

Post by Cartaa »

Hi,
I seem to be having a problem with a model i am exporting from 3d studio max 8. It appears to be all rigged correctly and skinned but for some reason when it is exported an arm, leg and head part flails about wildly. This problem occurs within the older directX viewer as well as Irrlicht.

I have tried saving out of the DirectX viewer but still get the same problem. I was wondering if someone would be able to take a look at the mesh as you might be able to see something I haven't noticed.

It is split into the 3 different parts but all 3 have the same problem. I have included in the archive the exported .x files as well as the original max files. The exporter I use is X-porter as I couldn't get Panda to export the animations.

Thanks in advance,
Cartaa

The Models:
http://www.notpossible.net/testrig.rar
fireblade

Post by fireblade »

I don't know about 8 but I use 7 and it has a problems with exporting to .x
with panda , so try exporting to 3ds format
Cartaa

Post by Cartaa »

yeah but its animated and as far as i know 3ds doesn't work with animations but I could be wrong. The strange thing is some animations work fine, but others start to freak out. So some sequences seem to work fine, like the run, but when the arms move for a jump they start flickering about.

Thing is that whenever I look on the net for an exporter for 3ds Max to .x they all say Pandas the best, so is it just something i'm doing wrong? I've looked on the forums and it seems to be a hit and a miss whether it works or not.
fireblade

Post by fireblade »

Cartaa wrote:yeah but its animated and as far as i know 3ds doesn't work with animations but I could be wrong. The strange thing is some animations work fine, but others start to freak out. So some sequences seem to work fine, like the run, but when the arms move for a jump they start flickering about.

Thing is that whenever I look on the net for an exporter for 3ds Max to .x they all say Pandas the best, so is it just something i'm doing wrong? I've looked on the forums and it seems to be a hit and a miss whether it works or not.
Panda gives smaller .x files amd can do some optimizing , also it could export to binary format something that Irrlicht still can't support.

The best way is o try exporting with DirectX SDK exporter , than try
3ds I don\t know how good it handles animaions but try and you will see.
Maybe if you have several animations in one file try splitting them in separate x files . Make it right than optimize.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Binary .x is supported, animations from .3ds not. At least for Irrlicht 1.1