New Project: Space Hulk - Redux

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Mecharius

New Project: Space Hulk - Redux

Post by Mecharius »

Hi guys,
I just thought I'd let you know that I'm starting a new project, my first major project with Irrlicht. Its a remake of one of my favourite old games, Space Hulk. I'm no artist so for the meantime the focus of the game is on AI, and gameplay. If I get it to a point where I think people would be interested in playing it, I'll try and get my friend on board - he is a 3d modeller, trying to make a career in games :) As I'm doing this to learn more about c++ and irrlicht, I'm trying to steer clear of other libraries as much as possible.

Currently, I have the following programmed and working:
  • -A series of data structures including lists, queues, stacks and graphs (like STL I guess!)
    -Large-scale pathfinding - e.g. from one side of a level to the other, which will allow relatively simple steering techniques for short distances.
    -Quake map loading and rendering
    -Newton integration for movement and collision testing
I'm currently working on a finite-state machine AI system for both enemies and computer controlled friendlies.

I've posted some screenshots on my website, although they aren't much to look at!

Engine Shot 1
Engine Shot 2
Engine Shot 3
Engine Shot 4

Mech
ErUs

Post by ErUs »

looks scary :P
Mecharius

Post by Mecharius »

Hehehe. The lighting is scary - waaay too bright, and then super dark :)

For anybody who is interested there is a review of the original game Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels at the underdogs website.

Its a FPS with a commander element, like in newer games such as BF2.
Mecharius

Post by Mecharius »

An update for those who are interested (somebody... anybody? :shock: )

- XML loading of pathfinding waypoints
- 'Spawnpoints' for enemies
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

I wanted to download the game from underdogs and check out the first version because Ive never played Space Hulk.

Too bad that many games are unavaible on underdogs because developers dont want to share old titles. (huh and why the hell they wont give it free ? I guess everyone want to sell old titles like Id does - by selling it in collectors edition with a high price ;/)

I would like to see more screens from ur game if its possible ;)
Mecharius

Post by Mecharius »

Yeah, its a pitty they don't make their old games available - at least id have released the source for Quake. I happened to have an old copy of the game I picked up years ago and I've managed to rig it to work in WinXP.

As far as more screens go, well at the moment not a lot has changed from the original ones. I'm working on the principal that I will first try and make a game that is fun to play and has a good base (e.g. interesting AI, gameplay) and then try and make it look pretty. :)

At the moment I'm working on AI but after that maybe I'll work on the HUD for a bit and post some more screenies!
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

I would love to see your game finished.. If your intressted in an artist, just writte me a pm.
TGM
Mecharius

Post by Mecharius »

Hey TGM - sent you a PM.

Working on AI at the moment. Have got a FSM framework up and running, but its still VERY basic.