Would this be possible?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Ed Reiker

Would this be possible?

Post by Ed Reiker »

I'd like to design a 3d fighting game demo. One arena and two characters. I have friends who can make great looking models and I'd like to do a full motion capture of every character movement. How should I go about it and I just wondered what my limitations would be using this engine.

Thanks, I look forward to adding as much to the community as I can while I work on this demo project which hopefully turns into a full game.

p.s I obviously have a minimal knowledge of coding, I just have an idea and some able friends. :wink:
bicunisa

Post by bicunisa »

Welcome,

Regarding your post, I will tell you something: you will NEED a coder ;)

But, fear not, Irrlicht is very easy to get it going. VERY.

And I think you won't have any trouble making that kind of game you describe. Download the SDK and do each one of the tutorials and you are almost good to go.

P.S. I recommend exporting your animated assets as .B3D, I have had so much trouble setting (and looking for) an adequate art work pipeline.
OMG another MMORPG project! AztlanRPG
Saku

Post by Saku »

Nah, a 3d fighting game is definitly posible.
Depending on how advanced you want the game to work it could get a bit difficult at some point tho.
Take a simple thing like attacking. You could take two very different approaches.
The simple approach could be simply checking if the enemy is in front of you when you attack and then apply a default value of damage.
The advanced approach could be to have a physics engine cheking if the models actually collide and when they do, calculate the damage by force and the position of the collision.

Best of luck with your project ^^
Call me Wice, Miami Wice!
Ed Reiker

Post by Ed Reiker »

Saku wrote:Nah, a 3d fighting game is definitly posible.
Depending on how advanced you want the game to work it could get a bit difficult at some point tho.
Take a simple thing like attacking. You could take two very different approaches.
The simple approach could be simply checking if the enemy is in front of you when you attack and then apply a default value of damage.
The advanced approach could be to have a physics engine cheking if the models actually collide and when they do, calculate the damage by force and the position of the collision.

Best of luck with your project ^^
It would need to be advanced, but perhaps for the demo of what the game could be like I could use the simple approach. Later on I would get people who know what they're doing to code for the advanced. :oops:

Thank-you guys for your help and warm welcome, it's very much appreciated.
JP

Post by JP »

Check this out, it's a 3D fighting game in Irrlicht just like you want to do

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=13780
Image Image Image