ShootIrr - [UPDATE - Alpha 0.8]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
BattleElf

Post by BattleElf »

That's what I'm talking about Rusty ;) Having the weapons like that and having it moddable should make it easy for new people to see how it works and then change it for their needs.

Water vehicles is a good idea too but like Sudi says it might be best to leave the vehicles for a bit further down the track.

I agree there with the physics engine too, someone was talking about making it a multiplayer game so we'll have to put in a network engine so why stop there.
chaoslion

Post by chaoslion »

hey guys
whích map format will u use? bsp?
pros
-> its easy to create via radiant
-> u can parse the entities easily too
cons
-> optimized for indoor enviroments
Last edited by chaoslion on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeurl

Post by Yeurl »

hi sudy

i m in with you ... contact me by pm ;)
RapchikProgrammer

Post by RapchikProgrammer »

I think this would be great idea to make an irrlicht game engine! A project made by the community for the community! I mean 100% newton integrations and a 100% physics, 3d sound and networking integration! Will make the project pretty huge, but just an idea! It would be really cool for the begginers around here! I love the idea, and am currenlty working on an fps myself but dont know if my average skills will be of any use to you guys!
sudi

Post by sudi »

chaoslion wrote:hey guys
whích map format will u use? bsp?
pros
-> its easy to create via radiant
-> u can parse the entities easily too
cons
-> optimized for indoor enviroments
I think bsp is a bad choice cause some people suggested vehicles and as we all know these thinks need a lot of space.

@RustyNail
Is this a config file or code? and i can't really see how this file is ment sry.

@all
ok then it's said newton is the choice but right now i'm trying to sqetch up something on how it'S all handeled
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

That (I think) is the G_Item.c file of the Quake 2 source code - ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/quake2.zip

No BSP - clumsy, dificult to do outdoors, just plain annoying... :wink: (But somtimes useful...)...

How does FarCry do it? I like their idea, or we could do Morrowind style... :?
And I think I should have SinglePlayer AND Multiplayer... I could work on storyline/SP maps... :roll: PM me... :roll: :roll: :? :roll: :roll:
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

That (I think) is the G_Item.c file of the Quake 2 source code - ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/quake2.zip

No BSP - clumsy, dificult to do outdoors, just plain annoying... :wink: (But somtimes useful...)...

How does FarCry do it? I like their idea, or we could do Morrowind style... :?
And I think I should have SinglePlayer AND Multiplayer... I could work on storyline/SP maps... :roll: PM me... :roll: :roll: :? :roll: :roll:
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
sudi

Post by sudi »

For the maps i think we need some kind of a highmap and then place building and other geometrie on it......

@rusty
u want to work on sp maps.....hmm for singelplayer we would need some kind of scripting to handel storystuff don't we......and that was the reason i wanted mp.....and first of all we need a mapformat before talking about map creation....
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
BattleElf

Post by BattleElf »

That's what I was thinking too for the maps Sudi, it gives us more flexibility. Maybe we can use irrEdit as the base tool for putting them together? I'm not sure if it's complete enough to use yet though, I've only seen posts of problems and no fixes yet and my own playing around I haven't sorted out how to handle collisions for certain items.
sudi

Post by sudi »

yeah i actually thought of programming our own mapeditor. since we will have to edit the terrain and place meshes and entities.
BattleElf

Post by BattleElf »

Yeah, that'd probably be best as irrEdit currently is closed source as is the loader for VisualEditor and it could come down to development halting while we wait for a editor change/update. irrEdit allows us to place terrain then put meshes and entities where we want but it is limited in that we can't modify the terrain within the editor and there aren't available user-defined fields working for entities yet. But so saying that I haven't looked into the scripting environment for irrEdit yet so that could offer whatever we need.
chaoslion

Post by chaoslion »

do you really think, its necessary to create a singleplayer part yet?
i think, if you´re really able to do the multiplayer thing, this would be enough
for the beginning..

dunno if you are interested in, but i´ve created an example scriptfile for the
terrain:

Code: Select all

//main entry point for engine

worldspawn {
	mapname "Wasteland"
	shortname "wl"
	heightmap "maps/wasteland/map.bmp"
	scale "1.0"
	texture "maps/wasteland/tex.jpeg"
}

//entities

entities {

building_1 {
                //type->maybe useful for the phy-engine
		type "static_ent"
		model "models/building.md2"
		origin "20.0 20.0 20.0"
		scale "20.0"
		angle "90.0"
		//any further properties..
	}

vehicle_1 {
		type "moveable_ent"
		model "models/car1.md2"
		origin "20.0 20.0 20.0"
		scale "20.0"
		angle "90.0"
		//any further properties..
	}		

//lightnodes..sound entities..vehicles

}//entities
as you can see it is fully customizable
sudi

Post by sudi »

yeah looks good, but how do u think is the terrain loaded? simpel irrlicht terrain? it hink we should create our own terrain-loading code of and take second mesh into ur scriptfiles for the physic object.....i saw that newton can save his physics mesh into an optimised format for fast collisiontree loading.....we would cut down the loading time a lot.
Oh and i saw that you simply used a md2 mesh to load a vehicle but newton vehicles consist of their body mesh and their wheels so i would suggest that there is a config file with a reference to the meshes loaded instead of a simpel mesh(just think of a logical file extension) other then that this format seams good how far are u with coding the parser?

edit: oh and right now i can't see how u r gonna load pickups into the engine cause with just giving it a type it could be hard but i could be wrong....
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

What are the advantages of this file format compared to an XML based? It seems to lack the angle brackets, but all the rest would be exactly the same when doing it with XML. And you don't need all that file handling with XML files, just the parsing. These unstructured ASCII files are simply legacy.
sudi

Post by sudi »

you are probably right hybrid and it would also show how irrlicht is capable in parsing xml files.....but the last time i tried to use the xml parser it didn't work and it was faster and easier for me to make up an ascii file format and writing a parser for it.
@chaoslion
shouldn'T be to hard to change it to xml and u could start the parser.