Blender GLSL steep parallax bump mapping

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
noreg

Blender GLSL steep parallax bump mapping

Post by noreg »

Can this be done with Irrlicht. I have never seen more convincing bump effect. Not even in the latest games. This is awesome.

the blend file:

http://www.websaitti.com/blender/parall ... p_06.blend

preview pic (better run the blend):

http://www.websaitti.com/blender/parabumpscreen.jpg

thread:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... light=glsl

I ran it with the latest GE (game engine) from Blender 2.42 (stable from Blender.org)

Just press "P" after loading. Yes it's realtime stuff.
elander

Post by elander »

It should as Irrlicht claims to support GLSL shaders. Just copy that shader from that Blender file and use it on the Irrlicht shader demo. Don't know if it works with the download on the main site or if you need to use the latest svn version.

Edit: Just downloaded the file and tried. This is a normal bumpmaped cube after all. If you look into the Irrlicht demos theres a much more interesting normal map demo in there.

For a moment i though you were linking to a file that some guy posted in the Blender forums some months ago, showing a much better bump-maping technique using an advanced glsl shader.
noreg

Post by noreg »

This is a normal bumpmaped cube after all.
It has three textures: one diffuse, one normalmap, and one for elevation. You are talking as if this is plain common and it is not. Where have you seen a more advanced parallax mapping. Sources please. Apart from that it looks really amazing and i don't know why you deny it. What's the reason for that?
noreg

Post by noreg »

Oh i forgot it uses GLSL for this effect, look in the thread, maybe you downloaded the wrong file for whatever reason :twisted:
elander

Post by elander »

Well if you use this shader for example. Someone used it with Blender but i don't remenber the thread.

http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/Stee ... x/#shaders
noreg

Post by noreg »

Yes, somebody used it with blender. Thats the thread my link is pointing too. And the file also. Maybe the munchkins have eaten the file in the meantime? :roll:
noreg

Post by noreg »

It just came into my mind: What graphics card do you have? If it does not fully support GLSL you will see some fallback replacement. That could have led to exactly this opinion.
Is it, or is it ain't ?
elander

Post by elander »

Did you just read the word parallax in the article and nothing else?

This is a picture showing the differences:

http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/Stee ... ompare.jpg

The first two are texture and normal mapped, the third is parallax (the one in your shader), the last one is steep parallax. I think the differences are obvious.

Your shader example combines heightmap+normal map+color map+specular map which is just a common technique. Yes you can do that with Irrlicht as long as you know how to setup a shader in it and pass it your lightsources data. In fact you can your shader or the one above or even combine steep parallax with specular maps and have whatever effect you want in your game.
noreg

Post by noreg »

In your first post you stated that it is a normal bumpmapped shader and i understood "plain bumpmapped shader". Maybe it was just a misunderstanding. It is not "my shader" but its the best bumpmapping i have seen so far in realtime. Thanks for contribution. I will do some more research on this.
Cup Of Tea

Has anyone done this with Irrlicht yet?

Post by Cup Of Tea »

So wait has this shader been used by anyone in Irrlicht yet? I will assume that steep Parallax shading is not what is shown in the example distributed with the Irrlicht SDK.

--peace
Cup Of Tea
elander

Post by elander »

No it isn't. The Irrlicht example that shows parallax mapping doesn't use a shader directly and is not as good as the one shown by noreg. If you want to try the SteepParallax shader modify the Shaders example to know how to create and setup a shader.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The normal map material uses shaders, they are just not loaded externally, but are built into the engine.
noreg

Post by noreg »

Amen!

(Could not renounce,hehe!)