Textures won't load

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
wittm

Textures won't load

Post by wittm »

I went searching around the internet, for Quake 3 Maps, and every one I fornd would not completely work, they were missing usually all but a few textures, some were only able to load 1 or 2.

Help?
Thank you,
Michael
Every idea, thought and concept ever discussed has traveled across space and time to become reality. For every scary story, fairy tale, deed done or wish you had done - has been transformed into a living, breathing entity. Would this be nirvana or hell?
Brien Shrimp

Post by Brien Shrimp »

I'm guessing that the problem is that those Q3 maps you downloaded use textures in Quake3. Those textures aren't saved with the map, so if you try to use the map outside of Quake3, those textures will not be available.

Keep in mind that .pk3 files are only zip archives. What I would do to fix the problem is open the pk3 file that the map is saved in, find the texture directory and put replacement textures to substitute the ones that aren't being loaded.

For example, if Irrlicht is saying that it couldn't load e7bricks texture, go into the pk3 and put a texture file called "e7bricks.jpg" there.

If that doesn't work, It may be that the .bsp refers to texture files in a specific directory in the Quake game files, and doesn't check to see if there are substitutes within the pk3 it is saved in. I have no idea.

I can only speak from my very limited experience with Quake3 maps and the Irrlicht engine, so I have no idea if my advice will help you. I have yet to even complete the modest task of getting Irrlicht to load my custom Q3 maps, and only partial success in loading maps I've downloaded.

In fact, the more informed among you might consider this and the posts like this as a call for help. Some of us oviously are having problems understanding the Quake3 map format. Please enlighten us or point us towards a resource. I would especially like help in making Q3 maps specifically for Irrlicht. My stupid empty room map loads in Quake. Why won't it for Irrlicht?
Brien Shrimp

Post by Brien Shrimp »

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=879

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe following these instructions will help.