Tutorial 2: Quake 3 Map

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
wheatas

Tutorial 2: Quake 3 Map

Post by wheatas »

Hello,

I tried to build the Quake 3 Map, but there is a linker error,
could you please help me to remove this?

Here is the error
[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp___ZN3irr12createDeviceENS_5video13E_DRIVER_TYPEERKNS_4core11dimension2dIiEEjbbbPNS_14IEventReceiverEPKc'

thanks
wheatas
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

You are linking to the wrong Irrlicht.lib. Try linking against the other one.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

which compiler are you using?
What Vitek means is that there are separate .lib files for msvc and gcc compilers, so it depends on the compiler you're using. :wink:
wheatas

Post by wheatas »

Hi,
I'm using Dev-C++.
well I just added both libs, and now it compiles and links correctly,
the problem now is that nothin happens wenn I try to run it, well its happening something, a comandwindow
(sorry the correct word just vanished out of my head) appears and disappears again. and then nothing...
could you explain why this happens?

thanks for the help!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Try any renderer except DirectX ones. And for DirectX better read the Irrlicht with Dev-Cpp tutorial. You will need the DirectX devpak and set some defines in the Irrlicht.dev project.
wheatas

Post by wheatas »

How can I set a renderer?
the commandpromt appears to short to choose anything.
kornerr

Post by kornerr »

Go to Start->Run, type in "cmd", then in the appeared window type in full path to your executable, run it, and see what Irrlicht outputs to you, then paste the output here.
Open Source all the way, baby ;)
OSRPG
wheatas

Post by wheatas »

Hi,

ok the answer was couldn't run programm because couldn't find irrlicht.dll

where shall I put the dll so that it can be found?
best case for all programms I create with irrlicht..

thanks for all the help an your patience
Nils:D

Post by Nils:D »

Put the DLL in the projectfolder IF you create the exe there.
CK_MACK

Post by CK_MACK »

Sounds like you are using DEV C++

I had the exact same problem.

After hours of trying all sorts of combinations... I eventually submitted to just using the example.dev as a base for my future code.

Here's what I did:
1. I downloaded the DX9 Dev Pack using this great ZIP
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... torder=asc
But the important thing to realize is that eventually, I just started copying all the files that I thought might be needed to the same folder where my BUILD directory was located... (menu -> Project / project options / BUILD tab... then make sure you have a build directory destination... (I used GCC-Win32 for a while, but then later once I learned to copy the files to the build... I moved them around)
specifically: I put these files in the build directory (perhaps not all are really needed but I did not want to take any chances)
1. d3dx8.dll
2. d3dx9.dll
3. Irrlicht.dll
4. libIrrlicht.a

To be honest, again... this is probably not the "BEST" way... but its how I got it working...

Also, remember, that I "gave up" trying to figure out how to manually recreate the exact settings needed to properly set up a project for Irrlicht... It was driving me nuts.. so I used the EZ way out... and copied example.dev from HelloWorld... and renamed it.
Then opened it... and changed the Project name (alt P)... and the Build Destination (and made sure my .dll , .a files were properly located)
and I dont have those issues anymore, as long as follow that for Each new project...

I hope that helps... and hopefully one day someone will show you a better way than my Kludge.

MACK
MACK
wheatas

Post by wheatas »

Hey MACK,

thanks for the help it works now...
well hopefully there will be an easier way someday do create a new project but for a while I can do with this "work arround" :wink:

Thanks a lot to all of you!