[fixed] Irrlicht v1.1 .3ds loader problem?

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
Panther

[fixed] Irrlicht v1.1 .3ds loader problem?

Post by Panther »

In porting my little game to irrlicht 1.1 from 1.0, I think I found a problem. Niko mentioned there were "fixes" to the loaders. In Irrlicht v1.0, my castle object looked fine:

But now in Irrlicht v1.1, it looks like this:

The tops of my towers are hovering! Please help! :lol:

If you want to download the free castle mesh, go here:
http://www.3dgurukul.com/Free%20Models/GMP/G4.htm

I noticed problems with some other object too. For example, I have a missile object where the fins no longer appear on the shaft of the missile. And a taxi car object, that can't load it's .tga textures.
Last edited by Panther on Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

There werer indeed major changes to the .obj loader code, basically rewritten from scratch. But it was tested for quite some while by several people. I'll check your file soon.
Panther

Using DX8.1

Post by Panther »

Both of the above examples are using DirectX v8.1 I also tried it with OpenGL, with the same result. I'm unable to try DirectX 9.1 - so I don't know if that has the same problem.
Panther

Same bug in DirectX 9, and with two different video cards

Post by Panther »

Well, a couple weeks have passed, and no one seems to know what is causing this problem. Perhaps the objects have a problem.

I bought a new video card (upgraded from an NVIDIA GeForce FX5200XT to an NVIDIA 7600GS). The problem exists on both cards, and in all video modes.

There's another object that has a similar problem. It's a free missile by DarkGuy. The fins don't line up with the fuselage of the missile:

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/226949

This seems similar to the problem I mentioned above (the castle tower tops don't line up with the towers).
Panther

Taxi can't load textures

Post by Panther »

The free taxi I mentioned above is here:

http://www.amazing3d2.com/free3d2/taxi3ds.zip

It's interesting to note that Irrlicht 1.0 can load this, and 1.1 cannot. Also, that Irrlicht 1.0 does not have the problems above (castle, missile).
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Hm, looks like these files are all in .3ds format. Does that mean that you have a problem with the .3ds loader, or did you convert them somehow in the .obj format?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The 3ds loader is now fixed (Svn revision 192, or patch from the fileformats page). I don't know of such an .obj problem, so in case you meant 3ds please update the subject (by editing your first posting).
The problem was due to the keyframe section, which is not yet ompletely implemented and seems to introduce problems even for simple meshes. In my test set I only had 3ds files which either did not work at all, or always worked.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Hybrid,

I updated the subject of my first post from .obj to .3ds.

Thanks for the fix. I have not tried it yet though.
Panther

Still doesn't work!

Post by Panther »

Hybrid,

Bad news. I tried applying the 3DS.patch you provided. I re-built Irrlicht 1.1, and the problem with the castle is still the same. Also, the missile object still has its fins skewed.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

But I've successfully tested with the castle :shock: I'll try again, also with the taxi.
Panther

Castle details

Post by Panther »

I played with it a little. The tower-tops seems to be skewed about 500 in the positive-Z direction.

Scale, Rotation, and Position don't seem to be implicated (same problem persists). Also, the mesh can be created with either addOctTreeSceneNode or addMeshSceneNode, and the same problem arises.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ok, 3ds offset bug is definitely fixed, the castle works. The taxi is a different thing as the 3ds mesh loads correctly, but textures are not displayed. This is a bug in the tga loader. This has been fixed with revision 208.
Panther

It works now!

Post by Panther »

Hybrid,

Thank you for fixing it. Your bug fix worked - both the castle and the missile display correctly. (My dumb mistake was I re-built Irrlicht.dll, but didn't over-write the old local copy of it in my bin directory... :oops: )

Anyway, thanks! It looks great now!

-- Panther
kenschwarz

Noobie question: How do I get this patch

Post by kenschwarz »

Sorry for the noob question but I looked through the sourceforge page and I couldn't figure out how to get the "Svn revision 192" patch for the 3DS file loader. I'm experiencing the *exact* problem described in this thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Best,

Ken Schwarz
kenschwarz

Got it ... never mind

Post by kenschwarz »

Saw hybrid's link ...