Poly count

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Knale

Poly count

Post by Knale »

Hey, just got irrlilcht and im wondering what the absolute max poly count for level and characters etc is?
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

It typically depends on the video card and processing power.
Knale

Post by Knale »

lets say ur running a top of the line geforce and two gigs of ram(lets just say :D)
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

about this many:
<----------------------------------------->
:lol:

not as many as a commercial engine that has hardware index&vertex buffers and does most of the animation on vertex shaders. with spintz's vertex buffer patch i was pushing around 2 million (static, i'm not into shaders), without, only about 150k animated.
try my grass demo, it will give you some idea of what it can do "out of the box" without modifications
http://gdlib.net/index.php?name=Downloa ... ails&id=64
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Knale

Post by Knale »

holy crap, thanx for the help. Yeah im in a small group working on a group and it looks to be relatively high poly but when i come here i see very simple screens(not bad mind you, but simple). So thanx for the help, my worst environment right now is about 15000 polys. Just another question, does irrlicht support object lights?

thanx again
-Knale
CK_MACK

Post by CK_MACK »

Thanks Bitplane for that Excellent Demo...
Can you tell me roughly how many polys 1000 grass would be in your demo?

I was running around 2000 in OpenGL1.5 and getting about 60FPS on a Geforce 7600GT (stock speed)

And interestingly enough when I switched to DX9...(had to alter your proggy just a bit to enable that as yours forces openGL...) I was getting around 38 fps... which I find a bit odd, because in all the demos DX9 has been a bit faster than OpenGL... so, I am kind of impressed by the performance!

MACK
MACK
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Objects lights as in addLightSceneNode()?