Irrlicht binding for Perl, Python, Ruby etc.

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
wornaki

Post by wornaki »

Yeah I know, but still if you distribute a game for a windows platform you may need to provide a .dll of venom for people that just want to install and run.
I don't know much about licenses, but my idea is to use the library unmodified, link statically to produce the executable and then distribute packed all together (the exe and a .dll to use at running time). I do not intend to release any object code or source code of my "work that uses the library" at all, but instead have no problem in distributing the source code of the library unmodified. So as far as I've read the common LGPL does not allow this.
I could be wrong though. It is just that the LGPL is the greatest mess in the whole history of licensing.
joorce

Post by joorce »

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

Happy to hear that you are working with Venom.
And happy to throw my crappy makefile to the trash can.

I will try it when I will be at home tonight.

Keep on with the good work.
sirshane

Post by sirshane »

Well, you COULD use Venom statically if you embedded your favorite language into a C program, but extending is much better than embedding. I just can't see when anybody would actually link statically with Venom. There just isn't much of a reason to do that. You could use Venom directly in C/C++, but if you do that, you might as well use Irrlicht directly. Maybe i'll look into other licenses anyway, since nobody seems to like LGPL. ( I've gotten an e-mail from someone complaining about it as well. ) :)
-Shane

Post by Guest »

i am really looking forward to this! is there an useable version already?
sirshane

Post by sirshane »

It's usable enough at the moment. I've written a first person shooter demo with it, and it works pretty good. You can download the sources from http://venom.feralfox.net, but I don't have any pre-built binaries. You'll have to build the sources yourself for now.
-Shane

Post by Guest »

ok, i will try to build it but probably i won't be able to do this. one reason i like the idea of venom is that i am not very experienced with c/c++ and building things! :)
sirshane

Post by sirshane »

Well, the whole point is to allow people to write games without having to touch C/C++. I plan to release binaries with the first stable release of Venom. Hopefully that'll happen pretty soon.
-Shane
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

Hello! I've just found Irrlicht and played around with it a little, but what I really need to be able to work with it is just what it seems you are working on - great! However, I can't find anything at http://venom.feralfox.net or anywhere else.

I would be most happy if I can save the time having to set up and learn SWIG etc and just could try your stuff out instead, so do you have this available somewhere? Are you going to continue development?

I'm mainly interested in using Ruby at the moment. Thanks. :)
BradB

Post by BradB »

Just wondering what the status on Venom currently is. Is it up to date on Irrlicht0.5?

Cheers
Brad
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Unfortunately, sirshane has stopped using Irrlicht, and is on to writing his own engine. Therefore, Venom is not maintained, but someone could update it i think.
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
BradB

Post by BradB »

Hmm, I'm possibly going to use Venom. If I do I'll probably end up taking maintainership :)

Brad
ErMurazor

Post by ErMurazor »

Hi

I have updated Venom to Irrlicht 0.5 if some one is interested I can put it up as download on my site but this is only the Python part. I am using Venom in the YAMMO project with Irrlicht 0.5. But I have no time to maintain it alone and have some functions not working in 0.5. If some one is willing to help I am in. I have also added new functions mostly 0.5 GUI functions also so Venom got 125+ functions now.

YAMMO Project
http://stenhard.net
darkraven

Post by darkraven »

I'd be interested in getting a hold of your version if possible.
BradB

Post by BradB »

I'd be interested in your version, and a little later when I come to integrating Irrlicht I'd be willing to help maintain Venom.

Cheers
Brad
ErMurazor

Post by ErMurazor »

Venom for Irrlicht 0.5

I have uploaded a venom version that is updated to Irrlicht 0.5 on my web page http://stenhard.net -> download. It is only the python binding that has been tested and I have only tested in Windows with VS C++ .NET. I have also uploaded a working version of vemomstrike with venom for Irrlicht 0.5. I have added a venom forum as well on my web page.

I have add the following functions that I add as I need it in YAMMO.
Venom_Initialize updated to have directx9 as an option.
Venom_RotateXZBy
Venom_DrawImage
Venom_DrawLine
Venom_DrawRectangle
Venom_GetSceneNodeFromScreenCoords

Gui
Venom_AddGUIElement new options listbox, editbox and scrollbar
Venom_AddMessageBox
Venom_SetGUIScrollBarMax
Venom_SetGUIScrollBarPos
Venom_GetGUIScrollBarPos
Venom_SetGUIElementSetFocus
Venom_SetGUIElementRemoveFocus

GUI event codes
"tabbox_changed",EGET_TAB_CHANGED
"msgbox_ok_clicked", EGET_MESSAGEBOX_OK
"scrollbar_changed", EGET_SCROLL_BAR_CHANGED

The following functions are disabled
Venom_SetGUISkinComponent didn’t compile in Xerces-C++ in Irrlicht.

In Image.cpp because of compile problem.
Venom_CopyImageTo
Venom_CopyImageToScale
Venom_ResizeImage
Venom_ClearImage

I suppose I am the maintainer now :o

/ErMurazor