Terrain Rendering like in Style of SimCity/Transport Tycoon

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
eis_os

Terrain Rendering like in Style of SimCity/Transport Tycoon

Post by eis_os »

Hi

Is there anyone working on a terrain rendering for an "iso" style game.
Not using 2D but full 3D with adjustable camera.
It's not true iso I know,
but it would be very nice if I don't need start from ground up. :D

Tiles, dynamic adjustable Height, so no heightmap texture usage and a mostly free Camera.

Anyone?
wornaki

Post by wornaki »

Try looking at saigumi's howto on othogonal rendering. It may be helpful
Cheers
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Orthogonal tile rendering is how Simcity 2000 worked. I can't remember the way that 3000+ were done, but I bet it would be the same.

I'm not doing terrain, so I don't have a render for it. (My project is like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea.) No one that I know of is currently working on a project like yours, so you are going to have to pioneer that area.
Crud, how do I do this again?
FleshCrawler

Post by FleshCrawler »

while looking at GameDev.net last night, I came across this

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/progra ... es/mm4ihm/

and there you have a thing that you are searching for :)

I'm ripping the code appart at the moment to see what is DirectX and whats really for the program, so i can try to implement it to my application.
I've been absent for really long, but i'm ready to reign my terror on you once again, mwuahahahahaha
eis_os

Post by eis_os »

I mean a more full 3D approach, drawing the full map in 3D and allow to change the camera position, while the tiles still have same sizes, and height changes aren't smooth but hard like in a Iso Games with heights.

But it's interesting to read. Thanks.
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

A little late, but perhaps you can use this...

Im just a little newbie, but i tried to create some thing like this. Its very easy to do because of this great community :)

You can search my last threads (e.g. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... highlight= ) to find some information about this. I created a small example using an array (like in saigumis orthogonal example) of tiles. After that you can change the height of the different vertices to get the look you want, and its still 3d of course.
eis_os

Post by eis_os »

Hi again

I tried to do my own landscape/scenenode which calls Irrlicht like these:

drawIndexedTriangleList(&Vertices[0], 4, &indices[0], 2);

Put it into a map class which holds each landscape/scenenode.

The result was already a very slow loading with a 75x75 tile map, I need around the 10th of it. :( Don't ask for the resulting fps :?

So I have to ask, does somebody already made a system that works without a fixed heightmap and can be extendend to support cliffs?
(It should be extendable to support the triangle selector for each tile, so the terrain can be edited ingame)