Made a B3D Loader

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
juliusctw

so close

Post by juliusctw »

hello vermeer

thank u for the video, i am so close to get the material to work , i followed the steps you took and i got the face and hair to work fine, this is because they are completely separate mesh, but the body is a single mesh and it contains both textures .

that causes problems, it appears that it only takes 1 UVmap , i can't seem to asign 2 different texture to a single polySurface, even if there are 2 different material balls, both of them are always the same.
here's a pic of the export
http://picasaweb.google.com/juliusctw/A ... 8173166610

any suggestions??

thank you
CodeDog

Post by CodeDog »

Is there a patch available for 1.1 and the B3d loader with the getB3dJointNode in it?
I compiled the SVN source but the dll has graphic bugs when I test it against the tutorial example sources. Textures not showing up things like that.
I managed to go through the SVN source and the release 1.1 source and I think I have copied over all the changes needed in the B3D loader. The compiled dll does work and I can use the getB3dJontNode function. I can even use the pointer to the returned node to add another node, but there is a problem. No matter what joint node I ask for it attaches at the root node.
At this point I don't know if its a bug in the loader source or an error I made importing the code.
The test program I am using works if I use an .x file, i.e. the node gets attached to the hand (using the getXJointNode).
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Juliusctw:

Is that with the updated b3d exporter? (see the end of the last page)

CodeDog:

I'm not sure what graphic bugs you are talking about, for me the SVN seems more stable then 1.1 (especially with the openGL fixes), I’d double check that the dll, lib and include files in the project are all pointing to the SVN version. You’ll get some weird problems if the include files are 1.1 and you are using the SVN dll.

The patches I got are for the SVN (which are now in the SVN), but if you cannot get the SVN working I can make up one for you.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Luke, your "hour of stopped being lazy" is way more productive than a week of my time, ;)

Great!

Now I am too busy with a job related thing, but for sure I will have a deep test.

BTW, julius and luke, that issue julius mention...hmmm...I have an idea, and seems can be on the way materials are added in blender in the case they are imported(they come already with an structure) from the maya file as he did...I know what I mean (probably nobody else ;) ) , I will do a good test out of it, and give the feedback-solution to you both. Of course, using the very latest plugin at the gmail.

Kudos, Luke! :)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

oh, btw, will try to solve the weighting or bone prob of julius mesh...I know julius you'r having a hard time with this all... is way an effort to be a one mand band.
CodeDog

Post by CodeDog »

I got the SVN dll to compile and work. It took some compiler settings changes and I had to modify the source slightly to compile with dx10. I was able to get a node to attach to the hand node of my b3d model. I now have an md2 animated mini-fairy sitting in the hand of my b3d animated model.
Thanks for the help.
juliusctw

problem in blender not the exporter

Post by juliusctw »

hey luke

the problem i mentioned was in blender, for a single polySurface i can't get 2 separate textures, if i change 1 texture ball, all of them changes to the same material . :(

if my entire mesh is just 1 UV , it would work, but i'm a little too ambitious since i want to dynamically switch textures :D
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

julius, in blender you absolutely can(i did yesterday, have the file), you cannot have multiples UVs, but yup multiples textures, each asigned to each uv chunk as u did at maya.

Just face mode, use menu "select" , "same uv", and keep this selection so to enter in edit mode, (hit tab) faces (ctrl tab, faces) , and in edit buttons (F5) , asign material ID (would be asigned to those faces which are selected) ..beware, previous to this you'v need to ensure you have selected the material with the texture you want for that chunk of UVs!!
juliusctw

loader problem

Post by juliusctw »

hello luke,

your new loader in the gmail account seems to crash irrlicht ,,,, is this happening to you?

i tried to export just a box and it crashed irrlicht. :?

hello vermeer,
i have recorded a video of myself "attemping" to follow your instructions, by following these instructions i still cannot get multiple texture on a single mesh. Perhaps you can take a look at the video and point out what i forgot to do, or missed.
the video on the site is too small, you might need to download it first and view it with VLC player
http://juliusctw.multiply.com/video/item/4

although I am having so much problem with blender (i almost hate blender's exporting system) my game level design is amazing , and the 3ds file actually works in irrlicht, maybe in a month i'll release a demo :)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

trust me, blender can get the wow it rocks status. It needs quite knowledge, that is.

the online doc at blender.org is key, specially at thebeguining...

I'll later have a look at that...
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

juliusctw:

I found the problem,

It is both a small problem with the Irrlicht Loader, and the exporter, but fixing any part should fix it all. I sent to the gmail an updated exporter, It might work, but I have not tested it yet, its too late.

I’ll try and post the fix for the Irrlicht loader tomorrow too.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

anyway, I have now been able to export the stuff well...Just that it flips the material vertical flip. cause is curiouse...not the UVs as is usual errors in exporters, but seems in material info, or textured vertices, or soemthing, it flips the thing, so in U3d it appears flipped. I made a test just flipping UVs (way more accurate is to flip the bitmap, but for a fast test) and bang, all coorect. Several materials each with a texture, each material asigned to a bunch of faces of same mesh. Working ok at your viewer and u3d.

The weights/bone prob exists yet in julius model, but am 99% -no pun intenteded- is not exporter's fault.

Anyway, seems you Luke have fixed soemthing else. I was gonna tell u about some materials vertical flipping, what I told u above.

Anyway, seems with only one material, it doesnt flip.

Julius: hey, the way I made this was...instead of what i barely could see in ur vid (huge one cant see for not having that codec) which I also did in the first versions of ur model, that is, leaving the incoming materials , all four together under "surface" in same row, how it comes from Maya, I instead deleted em all. The, selecting surface in outliner , got to edit buttons (hit tab if u arent ) and go to material index buttons and click on new several times....till I see a column of 4 materials appear under surface in outliner... ur not linking them yet. Then I go out of edit mode(u could name materials now, better), do the select same uv thing to grab just an "uv bunch" , corresponding with one texture, go back to edit mode, select the material index wished, "asign".Out of edit mode, "select same uv"(now with other area, ie, click some face inhair and "select same uv"), back to edit mode again, select another material index..."asign".

After done with all, you go to each material and...ensure is UV button checked.. add a new texture to each one, as it corresponds, of course...

You should be done.

render to check: Em...do put the viewport so u see the whole girl, now hit ctrl alt num pad 0 (the zero at numeric pad ) this makes what u see now be what the camera is pointing at (sort of eye camera), beware, you'd have need to haev a camera created first, this only repositions the camera. You can just handle the camera moving and rotating as any object.

Now go to render buttons, hit render.
If all went right textures must be seen as u want.

Now u now u can export.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Vermeer:

Strange, about the flipped UVs, I’m flipping the UV vertically in the exporter because they seemed to export flipped when exporting the UVs straight. Strange the meshes I’m exporting seem to come out fine, could you sent me the test meshes you are using so I can find out what’s the problem. I’ll look into it when I get home, hopefully it’s easy to fix.
Sterencejoup

Post by Sterencejoup »

juliusctw

yesssssssssssssssssssss

Post by juliusctw »

oh my god , oh my god

ladies and gentle men , i have successfully exported
http://picasaweb.google.com/juliusctw/A ... 4357432338 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

this pic is with vertex shaders
http://picasaweb.google.com/juliusctw/A ... 3304949778

special thanx to vermeer and luke :D :D :D

now, i'm gonna get to get this animation thing working , i have a feeling its the mirror thing i do that's messing things up, i tested with IK and it worked fine, the only thing was the mirror that was questionable, i'll test it out and let you guys know.

just a quick question, why is the mesh rotated 90 degrees when loaded into irrlicht??
Last edited by juliusctw on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.