OSX Noob

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
jmiles

OSX Noob

Post by jmiles »

I'm quite the noob with xcode and osx development, could someone provide steps for getting the the newer revisions to build without errors (and warning if possible) icluding the samples? Or for those who have gotten it working could you possibly upload your project file and other changes somewhere?

thank you
jmiles

Post by jmiles »

Never mind, I seem to have it going now :)

thanks
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

hey, why don't you provide step-by-step instructions so other people in the same situation?
or even better, make a patch or post your project file and i'll add it to svn (I don't have a mac)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
jmiles

Post by jmiles »

I have been working with SVN revision 259, the newer ones have new OpenGL features that may not be supported by OSX and some #if may be necessary to get the files to compile correctly (this is what Hybrid told me in another thread) and I don't want to make modifications to the Irrlicht files themselves if I can avoid it. Anyway, starting with SVN revision 259, make the following changes to the XCode project file:

To get Irrlicht revision 259 and samples building on XCode 2.4:

Add to:
MacOSX-Irrlicht-Engine
ITriangleRenderer2.cpp
CGUIColorSelectDialog.h
CGUIColorSelectDialog.cpp
CTRTextureLightMapGouraud2_M4.cpp
SColor.cpp

MacOSX-Irrlicht-libpng
writepng.h
pngwrite.c

at this point it should all build (including samples) and the samples should execute, except for Demo, to get that one working requires some modifications as far as #if statements for the driverType and as I mentioned earlier I would most like to avoid changing the Irrlicht files themselves. For any other Mac users having difficulty this should get you started. :)
jmiles

Post by jmiles »

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. If you build the samples in debug mode they will not find their resource files because of how the relative path to the files is written in the sources. However, due to the location where the the release build are placed the release versions work great. I think the easiest solution is to simply copy the media directory to a locations two directory ancestors from where OSX places the debug buils of the files, rather than chanign the code.

just my 2 cents on that issue :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I'd love to get a working XCode project file, if someone gets the latest revision to compile :!: The things which might be unsupported are some OpenGL calls recently introduced. OSX uses a different access scheme so either the features are simply not working, or compile errors will show up due to missing symbol declarations. Just add some ifdef's in that case and also post those patches :)
jmiles

Post by jmiles »

I have gotten to where I can now build 276 with samples, however the samples that load files from the media directory are not working correctly. The files are loaded but then nothing happens (for instance the user interface has no text or logos but the buttons and slider are visible). My current guess is that I have incorrectly #ifdef something, I'll try to get it figured out if I can.
BoneYard

I'm a noob too

Post by BoneYard »

Because we are on the subject of Xcode and Irrlicht I would like to ask the question, how do you get Xcode to include the Irrlicht header files?
jmiles

Post by jmiles »

Don't know if this will help or not, but take a look at this:
http://ruthless.zathras.de/facts/apps/p ... on-mac.php
it is for version 1.0 but should get you going (I think)
Unfortunatly I am overwhelmed with school stuff today so I will not be able to look into your exact question and develop a detailed solution.

did you get revision 276 building correctly? What version are you using?