Triangles disappearing then reappearing

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
JP

Post by JP »

Obviously you can't get out of a fullscreen window using your mouse, the default way is to press Alt-F4 (at least under windows), but yeah if you run fullscreen then pressing escape to exit is a good plan.

Can't suggest anything more other than trying the things i did to see if it's the same problem or not!
Image Image Image
Lideln

Post by Lideln »

JP I have news...

Thanks to the Quadtree Bitplane told me about in the "Tips for making an HOMM like game" (not the quadtree itself but that gave me an idea), I found why my map was disappearing.

I was adding my map as an Octree scene node, but if I use just addMeshSceneNode, it does not disappear anymore !

At least it is one issue solved, but maybe Hybrid should have a look at it ?

Thanks for trying to help JP :)
--
Lideln, France
JP

Post by JP »

Glad it worked out for you! Don't think that was my issue, but my issue was solved sufficiently anyway so we're both happy :D
Image Image Image
Lideln

Post by Lideln »

Yes I saw that it worked for you in fullscreen mode, so thats nice (but still strange that it does not work in windowed)

Indeed Im really happy that this issue is solved because it was getting on my nerves to see the map disappearing if I dared to move too much around the map :)

Things are getting better these days :)
--
Lideln, France
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

can either of you guys see this problem when running with a 16-bit desktop? how about in irrlicht 1.1 rather than svn?
I'm wondering if its something to do with the new default z-buffer depth in svn.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
JP

Post by JP »

I'm running Irrlicht 1.1, not the SVN version. And incidentally it's gone back to working fine windowed and with no vsync :lol:
Image Image Image
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

bah. okay i think we can safely call this nvidia's fault. i can't recreate it in 1.1, with vsync turned on, or with a 16 bit desktop.
it changes depending on how many meshes are being rendered, what's in front of them, their transformation but not in a predictable way.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Lideln

Post by Lideln »

I did not get the same issue as JP.
For me, it was obviously the fault (but according to what criteria ?) of the OctreeSceneNode, because it works fine if I do not use it for the level (but I got this issue only with the level, not the objects).

Thats all I can say. Maybe gurus can have a look at the OctreeSceneNode code... :wink:

Good day all.
--
Lideln, France
JP

Post by JP »

bitplane wrote:bah. okay i think we can safely call this nvidia's fault. i can't recreate it in 1.1, with vsync turned on, or with a 16 bit desktop.
it changes depending on how many meshes are being rendered, what's in front of them, their transformation but not in a predictable way.
Yeah i've had problems with the targets i'm shooting at losing triangles as well, but that only occurs when i'm using the FPS camera to do some debugging, luckily i don't need to use the FPS cam at all in this project so that's not a problem right now!
Image Image Image
JP

Post by JP »

And all of a sudden, as if by some kind of miracle, i now have to use fullscreen all the time otherwise my targets keep disappearing xD

Don't ya just love it? :lol:
Image Image Image
Lideln

Post by Lideln »

lol I'm sorry for you, in addition, its not me who will be able to help you, unfortunately :lol:
Maybe bitplane of hybrid will have an idea :wink:

Good luck, its all I can do for you... (arf)
--
Lideln, France
Simson
Competition winner

Post by Simson »

Hello,
I have the same problem, but that work perfect with VSync only.
I use : Irrlicht latest SVN,DX9 on an Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT.
Anyone have found where exactly is the bug ?