Need a bit of help in Normal Mapping.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
As-12

Need a bit of help in Normal Mapping.

Post by As-12 »

Im just getting start in normal mapping .I wonder that How I can make my (normal bump texture) or texture height or whatever they call.
But I am sure it is greyscale RGB Image. So Does anyone knows How to make texture_height from colored texture? (I tried search but dont understand because of my english is bad :( )
Lideln

Post by Lideln »

Hi As-12 !

I'm really a noob in 3D, but what I can tell you is that heightmap has nothing in common with normal map (except that this is a "texture").

The heightmap is generally used to create outdoor levels (it creates holes or mountains, depending on the color of each pixel).
The whiter, the higher (black means lowest altitude, and white means highest altitude... other values are between).
You can get a greyscale heightmap from a coloured image by turning it to greyscale (with any image editor like The Gimp, Photoshop, Pain Shop Pro, etc.), thats all.

The normal map is a texture that is added to a low poly object. Thanks to the normal map, it adds details to the model (it is commonly used in games).
To create a normal map for a model, you can for exemple use ZBrush, or MudBox, or SharpConstruct (or Sharp3D ??), the latter is totally FREE (but ZBrush and Mudbox are NOT free).

With these tools, you can directly "draw in 3D" on your model, for example you can add details on a shirt, or far more impressive : draw patterns to decorate a sword, for example (if you do it with mesh modeling, your polycount would drastically increase !! but NOT with the normal map, thats the idea)

Hope this helps,

Do not hesitate to google for the things I told you in that post, or/and wait for more experienced coders/designers advices.

Good day ! :)
--
Lideln, France
JP

Post by JP »

What Lideln said is probably accurate in someways, but what you're thinking is right also... So that's a bit confusing i'm sure :lol:

There's a Nvidia plug in for Photoshop which you can use to create normal maps but i've had no luck with any form of bump/normal/parallax mapping in irrlicht, it just doesn't seem to work properly when i try to do it :lol:
Image Image Image
Lideln

Post by Lideln »

I was wondering if it was possible to do normal mapping in Irrlicht (but did not ask the question neither searched the forums atm because this is a detail for me in the time being).

If you say that it doesnt work, then it should be the case... :cry:

I would have loved to see a normal mapped mesh, to see the amount of detail this stuff can create in real time :)

Maybe later :)
--
Lideln, France
belfegor

Post by belfegor »

Of course it works.You have one good example of it
in examples folder that comes with irrlicht sdk.Or you can
look at my example:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=15915
About creating normal map textures you can google free ati
normal map generator if you dont have photoshop(iam guessing you have windows).
Small FPS demo made using Irrlicht&NewtonDEMO
InfoHERE
Its at very early stage but i think im crazy enough to finish it all alone.
As-12

Post by As-12 »

Thanks guys that help lots :) . Hmm I have an another newbie question.
I have a quake2 model mesh. But It has seperate textures .Not like single texture in Sydney one. So anyidea How I can load sperate textures into my quake3 Models? Im thinking of BMP joint but I think theres must be solution for this. Sry for my english.