Feature requests for Irrlicht 0.7

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
exal

Feature requests for Irrlicht 0.7

Post by exal »

Hi

I would like to request a few things for 0.7.

1. Access to the shaders pipline.
2. Access to other parts of the rendering pipeline not yet implemented in irrlicht so you can do your own stuff if necessary (and ofcourse mess up badly).
3. Speed optimizations in the rendering engine (or wherever optimizations can be done :)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

I'd say the only thing I see as essential to make the engine better in all departments is image quality. I don't think I'm alone in noticing that images displayed can be somewhat blurred, although I'm not sure whether this is limited to 2D images or mesh textures as well. If the latter is true then it would be a big increase in quality and surely be far more benificial than additional features.

As for speed, personally I haven't had any loading issues, it looks far faster than some projects I have seen with Ogre.
exal

Post by exal »

I guess the bluriness of the picutres depend on the sampling teqnique you use when rendering. I haven't checked if you can change that. But if you can't you should be able to do that.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The other thing I noticed is that if you see a quality problem on 3d object, turn off mip-mapping, and be sure to user Power of Two (2,4,8,32,256,512...etc) sized images.
Crud, how do I do this again?
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Never noticed a problem with texture quality in 3D, it's just no matter what I do I can't get 2D images to display without a severe drop in quality. Just thought maybe this could extend to 3D textures as well.
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Vertex and pixel shaders
Soft shadows

just kidding :-P

What i would like to see :
Some internal optimization
Maybe a bit of refactoring
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
disanti

Post by disanti »

I would like my FileSystem crash fixed! XP
________
LIVER DISORDERS ADVICE
Last edited by disanti on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

it looks like shaders and optimization are the most wanted improvements
bappy

Post by bappy »

Integrating Cg would be very usefull, in that case , all the eyecandy stuff could be do.
I think remodulate the material way would be very usefull to, allow mesh to have more than 1 uvset and more than two texture blend...
-----------------------------
Sans danger, pas de gloire...
http;//bappy.free.fr
-----------------------------
exal

Post by exal »

I guess CG is hard to have since that is NVidia specific. But the normal DX shaders would of course work. But I guess there has to be another interface for OpenGL shaders.
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

The things I would love to see in 0.7 are:

+ Support for loading .x files with more than 1 texture
+ Skeletal joint control for .x models
+ a void * in SceneNode (I know I could add this myself but im lazy :p)
+ Improvement to the ellipse collision so you can set the maximum step size ellipses can climb (for big steps! at the moment it is proportional to the ellipse size which is causing me trouble)

And most of all:
+ Build in support for reading BSP entitys - preferably with a complete point entity set & SUPPORT FOR READING BRUSH ENTIYS
darkliquid

Post by darkliquid »

I'd like to see something like a SpecialFX Scenenode, kind of like

blah->addAnimator(...);

but:

blah->addSpecialFX(myshadernode);

or something like that so you can attach specific special effects to objects to achieve things like individual motion blur and shader effects, while having child objects selectivly inherit these effects.
http://www.darkliquid.net - Blog, art, poetry
soconne

Post by soconne »

I'd like to see better collision detection management. I created my own terrain scene node, then loaded the data into a octTree and the collision detection for about 3200 triangles brought the frame rate to 160fps, when i did my own collision I got about 850fps.
stodge away somewhere

Post by stodge away somewhere »

Performance improvements and higher quality examples, oh and some ODE examples. :)
exal

Post by exal »

On the examples side. Why not ask a few others to write examples so that you can focus on developing the engine. Don't spread yourself to thin :)