OpenGL 2.1

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
MiddleTommy

OpenGL 2.1

Post by MiddleTommy »

I see that Irrlicht supports OpenGL 1.5. Any plans to move it up to 2.1+
Or would that not affect the capabilities of the engine?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ah, it's time again for this topic :roll:
Irrlicht will use OpenGL 2.1 headers with the next release. But it already uses lots of 2.0 features due to the OpenGL extension mechanism. It simply supports the features present in the OpenGL library of the host system. Of course there are not all features available in Irrlicht, yet, but those supported are not limited to the 1.5 feature set. In short Irrlicht supports OpenGL 1.2 - 2.1. If you really require a feature name it.
Frobozz

Post by Frobozz »

How about antialiasing? :wink:
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

To say Irrlicht supports OpenGL 2.0+ is a little disingenuous. Yes, you can use GLSL shaders. You, however, cannot add attributes to vertices among other things necessary to fully utilize it (at least not without some hackery).

--EK
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

FSAA for Linux will be available with Irrlicht 1.2 - Windows will take some more time...
I don't think that any render library out there will support all OpenGL primitives at the user-level. Simply because it does not make sense. Furthermore, most if not all features are available before an OpenGL release as some vender or EXT_ extension. So how do you define "supports version x.y" :?:
That's why I always say: name the feature, not a version which supports a feature. Irrlicht definitely runs with OpenGL 2.1 and should support all features implemented.
MiddleTommy

Post by MiddleTommy »

Thankyou for the reply that answers my question