help plz (noob qustion alert)

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
omar shaaban

help plz (noob qustion alert)

Post by omar shaaban »

I know it's a very noob question and silly but it i really want any one to help me out my problem is very easy do i have to be a 3d programmer and artist or buy the models i need or make an artist help me?
that is my question thanks! :lol:
Last edited by omar shaaban on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverickbu

Post by maverickbu »

I don't think I understand your question. Are you looking for 3D models to use, or do you want custom ones made for you? If its the first one, just pop "free 3d models" into Google and you should get a bunch of sites offering free models of various types. If you want to create models, you can try software like MilkShape, Anim8or, Blender, etc... I don't know a lot about them, so someone else might be able to point you towards more appropriate beginner environments.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

WELL first i have 3d studio max 7 .
second my question is it easy to be a 3d artist to make low poly models or do i have to learn so much and it will be better to buy ready models ?
i want to know what do u guys do?
i have learned some tutorials but i want to know that the programmer should be an artist too or just buy ready models!!?
dwe-ax

Post by dwe-ax »

It's depended from your personal capabilities...
If you are talented, you might try to create your own models, but if your modelling skills are on the low level, or you haven't a talent, you should search for models made by somebody else.

Being an artist is a hard work, because you have to know something about proportions in models, creating lights in correct places etc. You should born with it all, if you would be an good artist.

//sorry for my bad english... if I made some syntax/grammar mistakes, please correct me
crhro

Post by crhro »

It is not impossible to be a 3d artist , and to create basic models for testing it requires a month or 2 of doing tutorials.

http://www.3dbuzz.com is a good source for max video training for free
the max documentation comes with some tutorials that also help a lot

to make quality models though you might need a bit more time , say 1year or so.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

ahhh well i will check it and what are 2d artist arent they will be useless since all the coming games will be 3d!
crhro

Post by crhro »

omar shaaban wrote:ahhh well i will check it and what are 2d artist arent they will be useless since all the coming games will be 3d!
2d artist > 3d artist
reason:

good model+bad textures= bad looking
bad model+good textures = good looking

id give a hand and a leg to have acess to a 2d artist , especially one that can do texture painting.

2d artist makes concept art wich the 3d modeler uses to model the 3d model wich he usually textures with textures made by the 2d artist.

the best 3d artists i saw had mostlly come from 2d , one can't trully be a 3d ARTIST without being a grafic artist wich is usually 2d , learing about shapes and colors.
bgsteffens

Post by bgsteffens »

For testing and getting started, I would recommend getting what free models you can from the web and making your own simple ones if you have to. Once you have something to show, start looking for an artist. But for the early testing stages of a project, perfect models aren't important at all.
KG

Post by KG »

I feel this is relevant because Milkshape 3D was recommended in this thread and the answer might help some others as well:

It is by far my favourite program to make meshes with, but it seems that Irrlicht still loads MS3D models mirrored left-right! 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 all do it, but I've heard from other people that it's supposed to be fixed. What's going on?!
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

Well i have learned how to model well and made a fine model for my character.
not very good but i came to another problem in animation after i have made a skeleton for my object i found hard time to get each object to assign it to its node (the head mesh in the head bone )
so does any one knows a good and easy program to animate models rather than character studio in 3dstudio max!!
and thanks for all your replies

@bgsteffens:
For testing and getting started, I would recommend getting what free models you can from the web and making your own simple ones if you have to. Once you have something to show, start looking for an artist. But for the early testing stages of a project, perfect models aren't important at all.
well i know about free 3d models but the problem i cant find suitable models to fit my project!! and about looking for an artist how will artists work for me i mean will they take money for each model? or take a % of what the games? have or.....etc.

@crhro:
the best 3d artists i saw had mostly come from 2d , one can't truly be a 3d ARTIST without being a graphic artist which is usually 2d , learning about shapes and colors.
well so do i have to learn 2d first !?
and by the way i am very good artist in my school i draw many good pic but not on the PC :wink:
and thanks for reading!
crhro

Post by crhro »

if your project is promising , you might find some artists that will join you for free , you know everyone could do with an extra entry in their portofolio.

and i meant to be a good 3d artist you need to be an artist but that is meant for artists , not manny artists in the game industry so don't worry , except maybe blizzard people.
bgsteffens

Post by bgsteffens »

You can arrange pricing with the modeller in question. But hopefully you could just find another hobbyist like yourself (I'm guessing) and work together, no money involved. :D