tutorial Quake3Map problem

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Kim

tutorial Quake3Map problem

Post by Kim »

Hi all,

I try to learn Quake3Map tutorial. I compile the file and it is okay. When I run the executable file i get this message:

Irrlicht Engine version 0.6
Microsoft windows XP personal service pack 1 (build 2600)

quake3map.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I test the tutorial helloworld and CustomSceneNode, both working fine. I suspect something related to window xp.

I use dev-c++ on window xp. If anyone can help i appreciated... thanks

Run through debug get this message

Post by Guest »

Warning:

An access violation (segmentation fault) raised in your program.

I don't understand what the problem is. If anyone have any idea please let me know. thanks.
kim

Post by kim »

I find the problem.. i need to change EDT_DIRECTX TO EDT_OPENGL.
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Seems like my problem is not unique.

I had the exact same error, and changing to OpenGL fixed it for me too.

Kim, were you using Bloodshed Dev-C++?
Gonzo

Segmentation Fault

Post by Gonzo »

Hi there, I have the same problem with DirectX-Mode.

I´m using Dev-Cpp with mingw 3.2.3

I found the lines in the debugger output regarding the problem, maybe it will help the experts amongst us to solve it (esply. Niko :D )

" ...

signal
program received signal
signal-name
SIGSEGV
signal-name-end
signal-string
Segemntation fault
signal-string-end
frame-begin 0 0x6a510c41
frame-address
0x61510c41
frame-address-end
in
frame-function-name
irr::gui::CGUIEnvironment(irr::io::IFileSystem*,irr::video::IVideoDriver*,irr::IOSOperator*)
frame-args
()
frame-end
stopped

..."

I get the error in every program i compile at the following code

IVideoDriver* viddriver = device->getVideoDriver();

So I think there´s a bug in the DirectX segment of the VideoDriver, because all non-DX modes work.

In addition, there´s another problem I have:

If I turn off the Code Profiling option in Dev-Cpp I suddendly get serveral linker errors when compiling. Turning it on again fixes it ... what the hell could that be?

Cheers!
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

You can not use directX with the Dev C++ dll that comes with irrlicht without recompiling. This issue is a known fact and one I do not know if will be fixed anytime soon as it has existed for a while. It is not too hard to recompile irrlicht to allow this and there are many many many topics on doing so as well as how to get directX working with Dev C++.

Hope this helps. I did not want you searching for a solution in Dev C++ because you will not find it.
gonzo

Post by gonzo »

Thanks! It´s hard to search a forum for a specific thing unless you know the words to search for :) Recompiling Irrlicht? Oh well, looks like my first big Dev-C++ adventure! :D

K, thats leaving the profiler problem ...
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

thesmileman wrote:You can not use directX with the Dev C++ dll that comes with irrlicht without recompiling. This issue is a known fact and one I do not know if will be fixed anytime soon as it has existed for a while. It is not too hard to recompile irrlicht to allow this and there are many many many topics on doing so as well as how to get directX working with Dev C++.

Hope this helps. I did not want you searching for a solution in Dev C++ because you will not find it.
Thanks again, thesmileman. Ah, I thought this was related to my old problem, and forgot to check the "FAQ" forum.