How to implement HDR into Irrlicht

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Fr4gz0r

How to implement HDR into Irrlicht

Post by Fr4gz0r »

I need a bit help on this.
This is the first time i will be implementing HDR Lighting in a engine can anyone help me a hand ?
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

you lost me however google had my back.

http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/hdrrendering/

and gamedev as usual.

I'm not sure but I don't believe irrlicht has this yet but with that article and more experience then i currently have you'll be well on your way to making dreams come true.
JP

Post by JP »

Check out IrrCinema in the projects forum, that project has been playing around with HDR i believe.
Image Image Image
belfegor

Post by belfegor »

Check out IrrCinema in the projects forum, that project has been playing around with HDR i believe.
Sadly its only for OpenGL
Small FPS demo made using Irrlicht&NewtonDEMO
InfoHERE
Its at very early stage but i think im crazy enough to finish it all alone.
TheC

Post by TheC »

To get an effect like real HDR, you'll need to do some big modifications to irrlicht. You will need to change the render targets to be 32-Bit and floating point. You will need to remake all your textures into floating point formats (I believe DDS can do this, not difficult to add in). You'd then have to write the shaders to calculate the effect itself.

Its a long a grueling task, you should stick to something simple, like bloom, if you are using irrlicht :)
Fr4gz0r

Post by Fr4gz0r »

I want it to be using Directx 9 and a drop back to 8.1 and 8 and ofcourse ill be using 32 bit :) i think i can figure it out from here guys thnx for helping me a hand :) anyways im allready changing many things in the engine.